New Betta Acting Strange?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

jen87

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I recently saved a betta from the dreaded cup (I wish I would have saved them all). I put him in my 20 gallon peaceful community tank - all my fish are dull except for the platys which he hasn't cared much for so I think we'll be okay. However, he seems to be laying down on my live plants. He swims along and checks everything out then just lays between the plant and the glass (sometimes in a awkward position.) Other than that he seems normal. He may be just getting stuck a little bit. But I'm not sure. My tank is lightly planted. Is this normal behavior, is he just not used to my tank, or is something wrong?

mine did that for a while and now he swims around fine. I think he probably is getting used to it. It must be such a shock ging from a cup to a 20 gallon

I hope that's what it is. He's really funny because he keeps trying to swim in the aerator bubbles. They are up against the wall in the back corner of the tank. He swims at them like he wants to be in them, but backs away as soon as they surround him.

It's perfectly normal for them to rest on things, and yes they do get into some strange positions! I've found Duncan likes to rest his chin on his java moss and let his body dangle . He also wedges himself between the leaves of an echinodirus I have in there.

It's perfectly normal for them to rest on things, and yes they do get into some strange positions! I've found Duncan likes to rest his chin on his java moss and let his body dangle . He also wedges himself between the leaves of an echinodirus I have in there.

That's very good to know :D. Is that a weather loach you have in that picture? I have a weather loach too except he's gold and his name is cerberus. The bettas must get tired in these big tanks considering they spend half there existence in those poor cups. That must be why they lay funny.

Have to remember that he's probably been stuck in a cup for most of his life, so his swimming muscles haven't had the chance to build up. Going from a tiny cup to a filtered (with current) 20gal tank is a big step and a lot of new exercise for the little fella :)

Is that a weather loach you have in that picture? I have a weather loach too except he's gold and his name is cerberus.

Yes :) His name is Valo and he has a twisted spine. I felt sorry for him and figured no one would have him because of it, so I had him. I have two others with him, a brown one and a baby golden.

Yes :) His name is Valo and he has a twisted spine. I felt sorry for him and figured no one would have him because of it, so I had him. I have two others with him, a brown one and a baby golden.
[/quote]

aw I'm sad for his spine, but I'm glad you have him. They are great fish.

My Betta likes to rest on the filter intake in his tank, it seems that he lets the water keep him steady. He looks very relaxed on there.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back