New Beta isn’t eating, and hanging around the top constantly

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

marimomossball

Reaction score
I just recently got a new black orchid betta. He’s rather small, and my third one. I’m very aware of how their personalities differ, and how each one is unique. I am still learning as I go, but I’ve got a good handle on a lot of things. However, he isn’t really eating. I shrugged it off as the person store feeding him right I as had just bought him, so I simply waited. Two days in, and he’s still not eating. I decided that possibly the water flow in his tank is too strong for him. I lessened the water flow in the tank with a water bottle half, and pushed some of the plant decor near the sides to help as well. Since I did this, he’s been hanging around the top of the tank constantly, and he’s still actively ignoring any pellets I attempt to feed him.
Maybe I’m over reacting, but I am worried. This is his 3rd day living with me, and he’s still swimming around with no problems, acknowledges me playing with him, has let me pet him a couple of times, but still won’t eat, and is hanging around the top. I’ve tried making the pellets look appealing in, well, any form of way that you can. I’m worried that he’s not getting enough oxygen...maybe it is just be worrying too much, and he’s just excited about the top of the tank, and I thought that maybe he’s just a picky eater and I need to buy frozen food instead. Over all, he’s healthy and aware of everything.
Sorry, I am new here, and still figuring things out, and I apologize for rambling.

Betta can take a week to settle in and start eating. Keep trying to make him feel comfortable and reduce stress.
It won't hurt to try a different food in case the pellets are too big or stale or something.

My fish (not betta, admittedly) will not eat pellets. No matter what. Doesn't matter the brand, the size... they will not eat pellets. They go crazy for flakes and bloodworms so I have just kind of given up on pellets. Might be worth trying a different type of food.

But in order to rule out other issues, can you post more info such as tank size, temperature, water parameters (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH, GH, KH) and any other tankmates?

Welcome to the forum where ramblers are welcome...just kidding, lot of really great people here so you are in the right place.

Edit, I just got a betta tonight Max but I am going to wait for a day before trying to feed him. But when I do I will be feeding him frozen, but thawed brine shrimp. Hopefully he will be hungry and eat.

Try a cooked, peeled pea, cut into the tiniest pieces, and offer one piece at a time. I have a new betta (delivered Thursday) and I couldn't get him to eat the Hikari Bio Gold pellets, even when I had crushed them. This morning I tried the pea and he absolutely loved it. Not sure if I've got the world's first vegetarian betta.

I'll offer a food recommendation based on all my fish' reaction to it, including a betta. Fluval bug bites, the 'tropical formula' one thats got a light blue label. Get the smaller grain pellets ("slow sinking micro granules")

Last edited:
Hello,
Bettas are insectivorous/carnivorous. The best way to feed them is live/frozen food like what I gave mine : daphnia, worms of all kind, ostracod, vinegar eelworm (rinced), springtail (collembola), artemia (rinced). Failing this, you should prefer feed him with high protein food like JBL novodaph, novofex, novofil.
I also fed mine with eggs and pieces of preferably freshwater fishes.
I had him 7 years ?

Edit : castor oil is effective to constipation.

Yes but +50% protein would be nicer but better live food. What is also important is to vary food.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back