new beginer

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

ratts

Reaction score
i am havind a problem with the ph in my water. i bought a test kit to test it myself wich only reads up to 7.6, which is a med. blue color. when i tested my water from the tank it came out dark blue. i have treated it to lower it adding what the directions say(2 drops per gal), and checked it every day or every other day for a week, and the lowest it has gone is to the blue color indicated on the chart which is still 7.6. i tested my tap water that i used to fill the tank and it tested even darker blue than the tank did ariginaly. my question is how much, or how ofter should i add the ph down to the water? is everyday to much. and does that work instantly or does it take a while to change after youn add it? or another question i had is since my tap water is high to begin with, would i be better off to change the water and just use bottled water to fill the tank, and if i did that would a 50% water change be enough to get it started then only use bottled water to do the weekly water change?

you did not say if this is a tank that is already up and running or one that you are just starting out with.

why are you trying to lower the ph? i don't beleive in monkeying around with the water too much. if you have not already pick out fish that are suitable for the ph level. next find out what your actual ph is. take a sample of your water to your lfs (local fish store) and ask them to test it for you.

if you still want to lower the ph, try some crushed coral either as a substrate or in the filter. dolphin could help you out with chemicals to lower the ph, but once you lower it you will need to stabilize it and check it every so often.

better to pick out fish suitable for your water conditions than making your water suitable for your fish. could lead to alot of headaches. one fluctuation could make the inhabitants become stressed and could lead to fish loss.

jmo

semper fi

sorry for the confusion. have had the new tank set up for about 2 weeks, befor i had the water tested at the store. they told me the ph was to high and showed me the ph down to use to lower it, also the test kit to test it myself, also told me to wait another 3 weeks befor adding any more fish so the water could "cycle" . then to bring in another water sample. so at this time its been 3 weeks since i set it up and a week i have been trying to bring it down. the problem is the tap water i used is high to begin with. i just want to straten this out or any confusion i have :no: befor i buy fish. i fill uneasy adding the chemicals into the tank since i never had before in my 29 gal tank.

thank you for your help

Hi Ratts

Sorry to here of your problems.

From your post in “Newbies” you have, (or had) some fish that need a lower pH than you local tap water.

Firstly, what is the setup of your tank like? If you have shells, calcium rocks etc.. in the tank, then you will struggle to drop the pH, as these will constantly buffer the pH (raise the pH).

Do you know how hard you water is (GH/KH). Your lfs should be able to tell you what your tap water is like. The harder your water the harder it is to lower the pH.

The best way to reduce the hardness and pH in your tank is to use aquatic peat, in the filter (if you use a under gravel filter put some in a fine mesh bag, old stockings are good, and place it in the tank).

Do not use bottled water, (mineral water) as this tends to have a very high pH, and is hard (hard water contains lots of minerals, i.e. mineral water).

If you can get hold of RO (reverse osmosis) water, you can mix this with your tap water, to reduce the pH and the hardness.

Have you had any fish in the tank when it has been cycling? (Noticed you had posted when I was typing this).

As for adding chemicals to your tank, to reduce the pH, I have never been in favor of this.

HTH (hope this helps)

Dolphin
iru.gif

thank you for your advice that was vary helpful. i do(or did, ill be removing them)have a few shells. out side of that a few artifical plants in the corners and 1 live plant.

im not sure about the hard water, i will have that tested to find out.
i will try the aquatic peat, that sounds much better that the chemicals. how offten should that be changed if any?

i have been told to add a water conditioner to the water since it has just been set up, i have not added anything to it, becouse i had never put anything in my other tank, and never had a problem, and at the store the only concern they had after the water test was the ph. do you suggest that i add that or not.
i dont want to kill anymore fish so at this point im in no hurry to add anything till im sure of what im doing
thank you for your help :D

Hi Ratts

You say you are cycling your new tank. Are you doing this with fish, or is it a fishless cycle?

If it is a fishless cycle, you need to add ammonia to the tank to start the bacteria growing. You can add some fish food to get the ammonia going.

If you are going to add peat to the tank, it is better to do this as soon as posibal.

Dolphin
iru.gif

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back