new barbs?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

New Boy

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I want a group of four or five barbs to go in my tank (when I get the larger one after xmas). They need to be big enough not to get eaten (so cherry barbs are out I'm afraid) and I'd like something that doesn't get much bigger than the 6 tigers I already have. Just doing some early research - any ideas??

Thanks

tinfoil barbs - i just read on a website that they can grow up to 14" :huh:

why not just stick with the tiger barbs but get the jaded tiger barbs and get some ruby tiger barbs :nod:

5 or so of each color......the normal ones the green ones and the stripeless ones would look soo cool :thumbs:

i dont know if they're very rare, but at my lfs you can get green barbs :p not green TIGER barbs, just green barbs :nod: i reckon they look nicer than the tigers too, they're a sort of dark green with bright orange fins and tail :wub: i had to get rid of mine though :sad: , because the shoal got too small and they started biting each other's fins off :sly:

i tried to find a picture online, but i couldn't :blink:

What is going to be in there with them to do the eating?

The Green Barb is a common name for Barbus semifasciolatus - a very nice peaceful fish.

the only other things were a couple of cories and some zebra danios -_- . it was definitely the barbs though - i saw them doing it :eek: . it was because the school got down to 3 :huh: (and they all had it in for each other!! : :sly: : )

i just searched Barbus semifasciolatus on google, and the info and pictures it came up with are nothing like what i had. they all look pale, but mine were a really dark rich green. :blink:

is this what you're talking about?
p_89753.jpg

it is a color morph of the tiger barb and is ussualy refered to as the mossy green tiger barb

Yep that would be a green TIGER barb, as it states under the piccy on the page you linked to :D

Tiger Barbs, Green Tiger Barbs, Albino Tiger Barbs, Red Tiger Barbs, Moss Tiger Barbs, <insert here> Tiger Barbs, (for good measure - they are also known in some older books as "Sumatran Barbs"), are all the same fish Barbus tetrazona. They have the same outlook on life, i.e. swim frantically around the tank at Warp 6, chasing each other, or if there aren't others, well, anything else then.

Barbus semifasciolatus, the true Green Barb, (here we go with common names again!), also called the HalfBanded or HalfStriped Barb, is a larger, (3-4" typically can grow bigger if well cared for), peaceful fish which minds it's own business and cruises sedately around the lower half of the tank. They are ideal community fish with things to big to swallow, but are not happy in situations where they are being chased around by more boistrous tank mates.

If you want something to go with a pre-existing squadron of tetrazona, something like conchonius, (Rosy Barb), or nigrofasciatus, (Black Barb, Ruby Barb, Black Ruby Barb, Purple Headed Barb), are easily available. Don't get fooled into buying the "long finned" varieties though, the tetrazona will have them off in short order.

There are a great number of very nice 2-3 inch barbs, sadly, many are never seen in the average dealers tanks.

oh, now i'm confused :S

my lfs assured me they weren't tiger barbs, but an entirely diferent thing :grr: . mind you, they aren't the most trustable lfs, and i did say i didnt want tiger barbs (i don't like to watch my fish fight :no: )

ah well, we live and learn (today, i learnt not to believe my lfs!!! :lol: )

I had red glass barbs - I loved them they are a bright yellow fish 1.5 inches with red fins. Sadly I took mine back because they were eating my plants. Petsmart in my area has started carrying them on a regular basis. My other LFS alway has odessa barbs they are black and red and something called melon barbs they are kind of pink. I think an all barb tank would be great! So active.
This link has a bunch of info on different barbs.
http://www.aquazoo.co.uk/page.cfm

perosnally why don't u get some more tiger barbs and make an even more impresive shoal ... that would look great :D

Most reactions

trending

Back