New banggai cardinal

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

VickyK1

Reaction score
Bought two new banggai cardinals today. Had my water tested when I bought them and it was perfect. I have noticed one is staying at the top. Sometimes looks like he is gasping but I'm not sure. Should I be worried??

Thanks in advance!
IMG_20201004_183826.jpg

What an interesting looking fish :wub:

Do you have your own way test water? How long has the tank been set up, when did you add first fish, what other fish are in this tank? What's your water pH and hardness? What size tank?

I know, I love him! No I don't. My fish shop does it for me. Tank has been running four weeks and I have two clowns, and I bought two banggai cardinals and a pyjama cardinal today.
Tank is 125L.

I'd recommend getting the API Master Test Kit. It'll last 800 tests so great value and it's really needed as a fishkeeping kit.

@kwi @Naughts @Wills might have more help

Make sure you get the marine test kit not the freshwater one.....
Laboured breathing could be a sign of a few illness, are there any other symptoms.
I'm assuming the other fish aren't behaving this way so your oxygenation should be fine.

I only got him today so I'm a bit worried. In case oxygen is the problem, how can I help this? Shall I put an aerator in? No other symptoms, he's just swimming near the top.

If you water surface is getting agitated in some way this helps, an airstone will do no harm.

My spray bar goes right across the back of my tank so should be plenty of movement. Might look into an aerator. Any other ideas or do I have to ride it out?

Reactions: kwi
Are you able to test your water?
Is you temperature OK?
Though with only this fish acting that way those are unlikely culprits.
So that leads to a sick fish, an infection maybe, could be fungal or bacterial, I notice the tip of the tail is nipped, is that healing well?
Was it swimming OK in the LFS?

No I'm not, but I had it tested today and it was perfect. Temperature 25 degrees. I only got him today so I wouldn't know. I'm sorry what is LFS? They weren't swimming at the top in the shop.

Put an airstone in the tank and monitor over the next 24 hours.

Return the PJ cardinal. Cardinalfish should not be mixed with other species of cardinalfish because they fight and your tank is not big enough for 2 species of them.

Check the salinity (salt level).

When you get your water tested, write the results down in numbers, when they do the test. If the shop says the water is fine, ask them what the results are in numbers.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back