NP

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Aw, they are so cute! Thanks for sharing Jenny, I needed this <3 I watch an online TNR livestream and one of the kittens passed away :( so I definitely needed this dose of cuteness!

They really are super cute. My Mrs and daughter quite wanted some of these but we don't really have anywhere to put a big enough tank for them.

I never really caught on with why they're so loved 🤔🤷‍♀️ I mean, they're not as nightmarish as plecos but they freaky looking! 🥴

whether to keep the weird decor is your choice (as long as there are sufficient hiding caves and they're not sharp) but personally, it aggravates me (🤣).
also the 30 gallon is too small for one, IMO, let alone two - they (at least have the potential to) get big.
i think @itiwhetu has bred axolotls or something so maybe he can share some knowledge.

When I kept Axolotls. This is how I did it

I had a 3' x 18'' x 8'' tank, in there I had 3 adults, the water was about 6" deep. I had large flat stones that they could sit on right on the surface of the tank. I had a mountain of Indian Fern on the surface. The filter was setup to blow a current down the tank, my guys used to sit all day with their noses up into the current. I fed them mainly Ox heart grated. I also fed them a frozen food called " Turtle Tucker ". The tank used to get some early morning sun strike which these guys loved. They spawned several times. I raised dozens of young. Watch the babies they tend to eat each other so you need to keep them separated.

That tank was only about 80 liters. I don't know where people get the calculations they use

whether to keep the weird decor is your choice (as long as there are sufficient hiding caves and they're not sharp) but personally, it aggravates me (🤣).
also the 30 gallon is too small for one, IMO, let alone two - they (at least have the potential to) get big.
i think @itiwhetu has bred axolotls or something so maybe he can share some knowledge.
Most reputable breeders recommend 20 gallons for the first axolotl and 10 for every additional one. Though I am guessing you are talking more about floor space?

Most reputable breeders recommend 20 gallons for the first axolotl and 10 for every additional one. Though I am guessing you are talking more about floor space?
I'm sorry disregard my post, do what most reputable breeders do.

My Axie had a 20 gallon long to himself...good job too cos he grew way over the "average" size.

You'll not be able to sex them til they are a year old, you might get hints beforehand but no definitive sexing til a year. If two females or two males they need to be put in different aquariums as with most things they are partial to biting limbs and gills etc off each other in fights. It takes around 2 to 3 months for said bitten off parts to regrow.

Sandy or bare bottom aquarium is a must. No stones/rocks/ornaments smaller than their head size cos they are hoover eaters and anything smaller than the head will end up in their digestive tract. If that happens (and in cases of overfeeding/constipation) you need to move your Axie to an aquarium water filled sandwich box, secure the lid and place in the fridge...yes...literally your fridge...for 5 to 10 days to allow the metabolism to slow enough to pass the object slowly and not damage the animal fatally.

Hiding places, NO lighting, NO heating, NO handling and definitely NO fish.

Phoenix, my Axie, lived a little over 2 years with me. The breeder suspects that his heart gave out due to growing so big....way bigger than normal. He would swim every day....I counted the laps a few times, 40 laps was his average daily swim distance. He would greet me in the morning with smiles, burps and farts and he ate like a horse. They are very playful and due to having lungs and gills they need to breach for air often. Make sure the lid of the aquarium is very securely fitted since when fully grown they will headbutt it and they can jump out if the water chemistry is wrong or they feel unsettled for any reason. Water chemistry needs to be taken care of just as any aquatic animal, they are seriously big poo machines, so turkey baster for poo collection, good filtration essential.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back