New axolotls

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

CurlyAxie

Reaction score
Ive begun the cycling process on my 20 gal tank but im not 100% sure it'll be ready for my axolotls when they arrive in 2 days.

They are 3" long each. Im wondering if itd be ok to keep them in a tupperware like container and change their waters every day until the big tank is ready.

Ive seen that breeders keep them in these smaller containers but I'm not sure what the process is they use.

Thank you

How many Axies are you getting? In a 20 gallon you can have 2 maximum as they grow to around 30 centimeters ( about 12 inches ) Imo I wouldn't keep axies in anything less than a 3 foot tank.

How are you cycling. It may be better to change the water in the 20G every day.

I will be getting 2 axolotls. Ive started with a tetra smart start plus and monitoring all the water levels every 12 hours or so. So far I havent seen all the spikes and returns and the water is slightly cloudy.

I dont want to house them in the tibs permanently just until I feel the tank is safe. Ive read that changing the water during cycling can delay the cycle.

Cycle can take weeks to complete, Without donor media/bacteria it will not be cycled within a week.

Changing water will not slow cycle, the bacteria do not free swim in the water. In fact I found it cycled faster with regular partial water changes.
Changing water during cycling is absolutely essential if you have living animals in there !! As soon as you see ammonia or nitrite you need to do an immediate large partial water change.

People usually only put them in plastic tubs with daily water changes when they fridge their axies. May be less stressful to fridge them for a week or so until tank is ready

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back