New axolotl just got here

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
These were my guys and they did my head in.
034.jpg

This was my boy, Phoenix....

150460215_3670211106398717_2625705915702161438_n.jpg
150611207_3670211563065338_7591161791439305419_n.jpg 151165837_3670211986398629_4406752118698705979_n.jpg

He was awesome...even though he was way bigger than expected once mature and was extremely mischievious....everything got knocked flying when he went on his zoomies :lol:

Looks like all the glo-fish points were covered. I also am not a fan of genetically modified animals. However, limited options are available where I live. So, in this case it was a take what you can get situation, and I am happy with it.

It’s not under uv light, just a real basic led hood that also has the ‘night mode’ blue light that was on to make his/her color show.

So do I

The use of GFP was originally for medical research only and it was for a legitimate reason...axies are able to regenerate pretty much every part of their body and the use of GFP allowed scientists to actually watch how they do that. GFP was never meant for the domestic pet trade.

Axies are pretty much extinct in the wild due to the enlargement of Mexico City not only covering the Xochimilco lakes but severely polluting them too. These lakes were the only place where axies were thriving on the planet.

That meant axies are only found within laboratories, zoos and as domestic pets. People can debate the use of any animal in a laboratory, most people are against it for varied and understandable reasons. However in using axies in the laboratory it has actually saved the animal along with zoo's and as domesticated pets.

That said, the GFP genetic modification has become something of a "must have" accessory (just as GloFish have become popular).......axies come in such a wide variety of colours, they don't really need the GFP variant to be popular but its "different" and usually more expensive to buy a GFP.....in some cases it's the usual oneupmanship thing.

They just need extra special care in the domesticated situations if they are GFP, you have to be very careful with axies anyway, especially with their water chemistry cos they will not tolerate any inbalance no matter how minute.

The best way to know if your axie is a happy & healthy axie....the fluffier the gill feathers, the happier and healthier the axie is.
I think it should be noted that the axolotl is mostly extinct in captivity, as well. The vast majority of axolotls in captivity are actually tiger salamander/ axolotl hybrids.
I understand that there are still a few pure axolotls in Europe, though.

It’s been a while since I’ve been on the site in general. Long story short, gf and I had to move, I had to dismantle and sell off a few tanks. But was able to upgrade my axolotl tank in the process.

He’s got a nice 40 breeder set up now. And he gets to live in the bedroom.
image.jpgimage.jpg

It’s been a while since I’ve been on the site in general. Long story short, gf and I had to move,
LOL, well, there goes your money :)

Nice to see you back online :)

You need some floating plants for the guppies. Water Sprite is a nice one and if it grows too much on the surface, you can plant it in the sand.

LOL, well, there goes your money :)

Nice to see you back online :)

You need some floating plants for the guppies. Water Sprite is a nice one and if it grows too much on the surface, you can plant it in the sand.
Luckily it was just the moving costs, the tank and materials I already had.

I have frogbit in another tank that’s getting blown all around by the flow that I was thinking about moving over. But last time I put it in the axolotl tank it all just melted away. I assume it was from the colder water.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back