New at this forum seeking help.

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Villalon22

Reaction score
Hello I’m Villalon from Texas , I recently started collecting fish to my 55 gallon fish tank so I am a beginner. I bought about 15 fish to my aquarium and I notice that after 2 weeks they started to get white spots on their fins. I search for what those spots were and it showed that they had ICH. What is the best way to get rid of this? Please help!

Welcome! :)

Set your heater temperature to 86°f and hee it there for two weeks, then bring it back down to the normal

Set your heater temperature to 86°f and hee it there for two weeks, then bring it back down to the normal temperature over a couple days

Set your heater temperature to 86°f and hee it there for two weeks, then bring it back down to the normal temperature over a couple days
Will do, thanks for the update!

No problem! Let me know if you have anymore questions:)

Definitely try to steer away from ich medication if possible. If I'd known that before I'd used it I would have a few more fish! Heat method is definitely better and works! Also, I believe my fish developed ich because I didn't correctly temperature match my fresh water when doing the water change. Always worth trying to find the root that caused the problem to stop it happening again. Welcome to the forum by the way!

I agree raising the temp to 86 degrees is the safest and best way to deal with ich. A major cause of ich is too much stress for the fish. Good luck

Before you increase the temperature, do the following things.

Wipe the inside of the glass with a clean fish sponge.

Clean the filter if it hasn't been done in the last 2 weeks. Wash filter media/ materials in a bucket of tank water and re-use them.

Do a 75-90% water change and gravel clean the substrate. This will reduce the number of parasites in the tank.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

Increase aeration/ surface turbulence to maximise oxygen levels in the water.

-------------------
White spot is introduced into your tank from contaminated water, fish or plants.

There's more info on white spot at the following link. The first post on page 1 and second post on page 2 are worth a read.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back