New article of mine...

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

emeraldking

Staff member
Global Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
This friday the mail came in. And so did the September issue of Poecilia news magazine.
An very discussed topic throughout the years is handled in my article with the title: Sex change in Xiphophorus species, myth are already beyond the myth...?
There are a lot of sex changes going on in the fauna world no matter what living species it may concern. It happens more often than most people may think. Three ways of sex change is mentioned in my article: protogyny (♀ → ♂), protandry (♂ → ♀) and bi-directional sex change (♂ →♀ or ♀ → ♂). Of course, me as being a passionate livebearer nerd will be focussing on the sex change within the livebearer field. And specifically when it comes to Xiphophorus species (where swordtails and platies belong to).
The article refers to my tests in the past with Xiphophorus species. But me not being a scientist do refer as well to a scientific paper from 2003 from a scientist that does show that it's possible that females can change into males. Using a wild swordtail strain for this research, they've found out that there are not 2 sex genotypes but three sex genotypes. I won't post the whole content of the article overhere. For the 6 pages is currently meant for paying members. I do expect some friction within the aquarium scene by publishing this article. I wonder what it will do if it get's also published in Germany. For there are a lot of Xiphophorus breeders in Germany. And a majority of them don't believe that it's possible.
Funny fact: The one who wrote the paper back in 2003 is a german scientist... And I haven't read elsewhere that people have referred to him about this item.
PN cover september 2020.jpg pn sept2020 geslachtsverandering1.jpg IMG_3350.JPG

This friday the mail came in. And so did the September issue of Poecilia news magazine.
An very discussed topic throughout the years is handled in my article with the title: Sex change in Xiphophorus species, myth are already beyond the myth...?
There are a lot of sex changes going on in the fauna world no matter what living species it may concern. It happens more often than most people may think. Three ways of sex change is mentioned in my article: protogyny (♀ → ♂), protandry (♂ → ♀) and bi-directional sex change (♂ →♀ or ♀ → ♂). Of course, me as being a passionate livebearer nerd will be focussing on the sex change within the livebearer field. And specifically when it comes to Xiphophorus species (where swordtails and platies belong to).
The article refers to my tests in the past with Xiphophorus species. But me not being a scientist do refer as well to a scientific paper from 2003 from a scientist that does show that it's possible that females can change into males. Using a wild swordtail strain for this research, they've found out that there are not 2 sex genotypes but three sex genotypes. I won't post the whole content of the article overhere. For the 6 pages is currently meant for paying members. I do expect some friction within the aquarium scene by publishing this article. I wonder what it will do if it get's also published in Germany. For there are a lot of Xiphophorus breeders in Germany. And a majority of them don't believe that it's possible.
Funny fact: The one who wrote the paper back in 2003 is a german scientist... And I haven't read elsewhere that people have referred to him about this item.
View attachment 113789 View attachment 113790 View attachment 113791

That's so cool! What language is this in? There are a lot of words that are similar to German, so I can understand some of it, but not all of it.

That's so cool! What language is this in? There are a lot of words that are similar to German, so I can understand some of it, but not all of it.
Yes, it's in dutch. Last month I had an article published in german. I write for two livebearer magazines. One dutch and one german magazine. On occasion also for a french livebearer magazine.
German and dutch are both germanic languages. They do have a lot of similar words. But the grammar does differ a lot.
And yes, Germany and the Netherlands are neighbours. In the border region we can also speak with a specific dutch dialect which a lot of germans do understand.
I totally wouldn't mind writing an article (or multiple ones) for an english texted magazine. And preferably livebearer related. But who knows what the future may bring.

In fact every member of our society is allowed to write an article but in some way it turns out that it's mostly one or more of the board members (I'm one of the board members) who will write a relevant article with depth of course. Just a nice story about your fishtank won't be published. It has to be of a certain level. Otherwise, it would be a waste of money (magazine publishing costs ain't cheap) and time. Scientific or scientific related articles are always welcome. And so, are expedition trip stories.

Next month we'll have a meeting of our national society of livebearers. Our chairman will be giving a lecture about an old guppy colony of his which has been degraded in shape and coloration throughout the years. This year he's asked me to help him out. And I gave him a number of guppies that may do the job to get his old colony elevated to the design of how they suppose to look like in the beginning. So, we talked about genetics as well to help him on his way. And I have to help him out a bit with this lecture.

In October we'll have a joined meeting with the largest livebearer society of Germany. We'll meet up in Bocholt in Germany. There will be some lectures in dutch and german. Of course, all lectures will be translated for those who don't speak or understand the opposite language. And we'll have a livebearer auction.

And I've been asked to make some data sheets for this portfolio we have with data sheets of several wild livebearer species. And I will take care of some of them this fall.

I don't have to get bored the coming months... ;)

That is so cool! You certainly will be busy over the next few months.

I thought it might be Dutch. I grew up speaking German, so I can sort of understand the Dutch. I was in Amsterdam twice (only for a few hours each time), and I was able to get the general idea of the writing there.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back