New arrivals!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

AdoraBelle Dearheart

Nutty fish nutter
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
Not ideal timing since tank is going through a mini-cycle right now and needing daily changes, but my yellow girl dropped her second batch of fry today :D Her first batch was only tiny, and only two survived, they're coming up on two months old now I think, both girls who are plain yellow, so I'm excited to see how some males turn out.

I only saw three newborns at first, and even though usually I raise them in the main parent tank until they're large enough to need to go into a grow out, I decided to scoop them into a breeder net box this time, thinking there wasn't many, and it would be better to have them netted since tank needs the daily changes and I'm feeding lightly during mini cycle, better to target feed them and not have them searching the whole tank for food, and have them all together while I'm doing daily water changes.
DSCF3351.JPG

But as you can see, tank is pretty well planted, so catching them was easier said than done... had to remove the frogbit piece by piece to a bucket, scooping fry as I went. Thought I'd caught them all, went to do the water change, and more and more kept popping out from some bits of plant further down. Just caught a few more hours after putting the tank back together and thinking I must have got them all by now. Total so far? 39 little newborn fry :D Not bad for her second batch! And I'm sure there will be a few more hidden in there that I'll catch over the next few days. Would be nice to get to an even 40, lol.

Mom:
DSCF0904.JPG

Dad:
DSCF0910.JPG

Best photos I could get of the fry in the breeder box:
DSCF3358.JPG
DSCF3355.JPG
DSCF3354.JPG
DSCF3161.JPG
DSCF3156.JPG

Wow! That's a lot of fry. Be great to see how they grow.

But... Your tank is looking amazing!! It's really growing in nicely :wub: the Frogbit looks great (I ordered some yesterday so quite excited!). I can't believe how quickly this tank has settled in & grown!

Wow! That's a lot of fry. Be great to see how they grow.

But... Your tank is looking amazing!! It's really growing in nicely :wub: the Frogbit looks great (I ordered some yesterday so quite excited!). I can't believe how quickly this tank has settled in & grown!
Blimey look at your tank! That seems like about 3 months' plant growth already o_O
Thank you so much, both of you!
I did add some more plants a few weeks ago, that helped :)

Frogbit really does grow like mad. I've even taken some out to go into other tanks, lol. Think I need to trim the roots. I didn't know that was needed until some of them hit the substrate and kept going, but just read one of @seangee 's set up threads, and you trim them, right @seangee ? Should I do that next? Anything I need to know about trimming them? Like, if I cut them too short, will it kill the plant?

I set the tank up August 25th, so it's been running for exactly a month :D Definitely come a long way since day one!
August 25th:
DSCF1826.JPG

September 8th:
DSCF2342.JPG

New plants added September 12th (all except alternanthera reineckii mini):
DSCF2457.JPG

And today:
DSCF3351.JPG

Trimmed the l.sessiliflora and one of the others whose name escapes me right now today, the patch of l.sessiliflora at the front left of the dragonstone, and the stuff in the breeder box won't be staying there, @mbsqw1d those will be sent to you soon :D

@AilyNC you got limnophilia sessiliflora for your new tank too, didn't you? I really love this plant, first time I've had it, it grows so fast. As yours grows in, I recommend planting it all together into a dense area, it looks so good that way. I first dotted it around everywhere, but ended moving everything so the same species were planted together, much better! Mine is now planted in a semi circle, hiding the single sponge filter :D There's enough of a gap and it's still easy to hold the plant aside and lift the filter out for cleaning.
DSCF2348.JPG
DSCF2703.JPG
DSCF2676.JPG

The trimmings from today I'm sending to @mbsqw1d , he was kind enough to send me the vallis (which is still struggling a bit, but hanging in there! Not giving up on it yet!) but as the rest grows and needs trimming again, I'll continue replanting around the filter until that whole corner is a dense little thicket.

Also want to see how it looks when it hits the surface, the Tropica video makes it look great, to me at least. Like big fluffy clouds. I don't know why it isn't more popular as an aquascaping plant, I love it.

@AilyNC you got limnophilia sessiliflora for your new tank too, didn't you? I really love this plant, first time I've had it, it grows so fast. As yours grows in, I recommend planting it all together into a dense area, it looks so good that way. I first dotted it around everywhere, but ended moving everything so the same species were planted together, much better! Mine is now planted in a semi circle, hiding the single sponge filter :D There's enough of a gap and it's still easy to hold the plant aside and lift the filter out for cleaning.
View attachment 117702View attachment 117703View attachment 117704

The trimmings from today I'm sending to @mbsqw1d , he was kind enough to send me the vallis (which is still struggling a bit, but hanging in there! Not giving up on it yet!) but as the rest grows and needs trimming again, I'll continue replanting around the filter until that whole corner is a dense little thicket.

Also want to see how it looks when it hits the surface, the Tropica video makes it look great, to me at least. Like big fluffy clouds. I don't know why it isn't more popular as an aquascaping plant, I love it.
Ah thats very cool missy thanks, and no rush! Don't package them like I did :oops:
Vallis can take a little while to sort itself out, I think it's whats going on root wise is whats important for it, and when them roots are established theres no stopping it. Because those leaves were a few feet long I think it can struggle when moved as the roots supporting them have to catch up.

Congrats! And gorgeous plants!
Thank you love!
Spent a small fortune on these in-vitro ones, in a panic to set something up for the shrimp that was shrimp safe, but really glad I did now, so pleased with how everything is growing. :D

And haven't been this excited about a batch of fry for a long while either, going to be great to see them grow out and colour up. Yay!

Not ideal timing since tank is going through a mini-cycle right now and needing daily changes, but my yellow girl dropped her second batch of fry today :D Her first batch was only tiny, and only two survived, they're coming up on two months old now I think, both girls who are plain yellow, so I'm excited to see how some males turn out.

I only saw three newborns at first, and even though usually I raise them in the main parent tank until they're large enough to need to go into a grow out, I decided to scoop them into a breeder net box this time, thinking there wasn't many, and it would be better to have them netted since tank needs the daily changes and I'm feeding lightly during mini cycle, better to target feed them and not have them searching the whole tank for food, and have them all together while I'm doing daily water changes.
View attachment 117689

But as you can see, tank is pretty well planted, so catching them was easier said than done... had to remove the frogbit piece by piece to a bucket, scooping fry as I went. Thought I'd caught them all, went to do the water change, and more and more kept popping out from some bits of plant further down. Just caught a few more hours after putting the tank back together and thinking I must have got them all by now. Total so far? 39 little newborn fry :D Not bad for her second batch! And I'm sure there will be a few more hidden in there that I'll catch over the next few days. Would be nice to get to an even 40, lol.

Mom:
View attachment 117690

Dad:
View attachment 117691
Best photos I could get of the fry in the breeder box:
View attachment 117692View attachment 117693View attachment 117694View attachment 117695View attachment 117696
Congrats! I love babies. ;)

Yes the Limnophila is lovely. I've mine together but once my new plant order comes I'm.hipikg to sit them together at the back near my bonsai cliff. The idea is hopefully create a background forest look. I ordered some vallis too actually. It's so gorgeous in @mbsqw1d 's tank that I had to give it a try. I can't get over your growth :wub: clearly you've an aqua green thumb :yahoo:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back