New Aquatic Pet, But Its Not A Fish!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

CFC

Leader of the Fishes
Reaction score
Ever since i first saw one of these in a branch of MA about 6 years ago i have wanted one but sadly a few years ago they were put on the endangered species list and their importation was banned so i thought i had missed my chance, then in a chance conversation with Mark down at Amey Zoo a couple of weekends ago he asked me if i had room to house one as there was one that needed rehoming. A few phone calls and a weekend later we found ourselves on our way to Southend to collect our new wet pet.

So with great pleasure I introduce Henry the Fly River turtle.

fly_river_turtle_1.jpg

fly_river_turtle_2.jpg

Henry (named by my mrs as a play on the scientific name Carettochelys insculpta as a ode to Sir Henry Moore the famous sculpter :rolleyes: ) came from DWARF which is a rescue center for abused and badly kept animals [URL="http://www.dwarf.org.uk/"]http://www.dwarf.org.uk/[/URL] and had been bought into the center by the RSPCA during an animal cruelty case, but now he was ready to go to a new home and Mark thought my 900g would be the perfect place so put us in contact with Iain Newby who runs the center.

Iain and his team are doing some truely fantastic work and we were shocked at some of the animals that had been brought into the center after their owners had either neglected them or were unable to care for them, its certainly a rare occasion when you come face to face with a 6 foot long American Alligator! We were also shocked at the ammount of food needed to keep all the animals as the weekly delivery from Tescos arrived just after we did, i felt rather mean at the £50 donation i made for the rehoming but that was all i had on me at the time, though we have both said that we will make another donation later in the year.

Yay! :D I love fly river turtles, so cute.

Nice name too, suits him ;)

yes that is beautiful mate,,,there was someone selling one on this website about two months ago, asked them and it was around 300 quid,,,so got yourself a real bargain, congrats :good:

Awesome little man :good: Way cool. Hope he likes his new home.

Great turtle. I love those things almost look marine like. How is he getting on with your fish.

I dont think there is any reason to be worried, the turtle is a fair size and the fish are ignoring it so far, the only problem ive had is my big catfish stealing the turtles food, it has decided that banana is the best thing its ever tasted :lol:

I should stop looking at CFC's threads... every time i see one it makes me think about turning the spare room into a giant tank :lol:

The turtle is amazing, im so jealous!

I dont think there is any reason to be worried, the turtle is a fair size and the fish are ignoring it so far, the only problem ive had is my big catfish stealing the turtles food, it has decided that banana is the best thing its ever tasted :lol:

Lol i spose! that catfish likes alot of food although he is a beast so ill let him off :shifty:

You have no idea how much i hate you right now :(

My lfs used to have one in a display tank, and it would always be the first thing i went to look at lol

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back