New aquascape

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Great Lakes

Always do right, not popular...
Reaction score
OK cichlid lovers. I'm moving my cichlids from my 55gal to a 29gal. I have always done the typical gravel, rocks, occasional plant setup for them. Is there anything they seem to prefer? I have two Blue Johannies, a Green Severum, and two convicts. All are about 4 to 5 inches.

Well i use the reefing method for my Malawi's ie... reef the back of the tank with a pile of different sized rocks and shelve shaped rocks to create a full backdrop to the tank as well as providing territories for all the different fish all of this resting on a gravel substrate (as it seems to be stronger at holding the reef up)

The other method is a number of very large rocks placed around on the substrate (usually sand in this set up) and a few artificial plants for the likes of Convicts, Severums etc with flowerpots either on their sides or upturned with a "mouse hole" cut in to them for the fish to go into and spawn

However.........the next tank im going to set up for cichlids is going to be a rock/bogwood tank as a friend of mine has the most beautiful set up i have ever seen done like this for his Fire Mouths......its a Juwel Delta corner aquarium with gravel substrate then on top of the gravel there are large flat pebbles all arranged around a huge centrepiece bogwood tree trunk 8) with lots of live plants (Java Fern etc) this tank has really inspired me to try the same approach in the future :D 8)

I will try to get some foto's of it for you all as this tank is the mutts nuts lol :grin:

Interesting. Maybe I will go do a driftwood search. Been cold here so there hasn't been too many beachcombers yet.
Maybe I'll do all wood for a change. All these fish are big enough that they really can't hide from view like when they were ityy bitty :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back