New Aquarium

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

TomSawyer

Reaction score
Hi Guys :D

I've an aquarium measuring 2ftx1ftx1ft. I want to purchase a bigger one, with a length of 3-4ft.
I shall be grateful if you could advise me of the recommended width and height.

Thanks
TomSawyer :hyper:

How longs a piece of string! Go for the biggest tank you can afford and house! What fish are you planning on keeping - angels will need high tanks, most community fish will do fine in just a long tank. Welcome!

Hi William

Well I intend to breed goldfish and lionheads. I'm worried about the water pressure on the glass. That's why I'm asking for the recommended width and height.

TomSawyer

Hi TomSawyer

If you are buying a tank, then the tank will have the correct thickness of glass for its size.
The deeper the tank the thicker glass needs to be, but the manufactures take care of this.

i first got a 4foot by one foot by 15 inches and it seems remarkably small next to the 4 foot by 15 by20 inches and the extra was £20. they are bothe nice sized tanks imo. its up to you for breeding lion heads it might be wise to go for the deep sizemaybee even a 3 foot by 15 by 20 i recomend the squarer the better.

edit : i forgot to add welcome to the forum

Thanks guys :blink:

One of my friends built one 30inx14inx20in with a 5mm glass. However, I think its to deep as when I filled it with water, it gets a bit curved at the top. Based on this, I think that 3ftx1.5ftx1.5ft will suit.

As well, can any help/advise me on breeding lionheads. Any links will be most appreciated. :hyper:

oh im sory tom i thaught you meant you where going to go to a fish shop and buy one well the accesorys such as plastic hoods light fitting have standard withs as well as lengths worth considering if you are geting one to order. as for the glass bowing out at the top it is normally prevented by adding a strut of glass allong the top at a right angle to the glass and i belive they use some kind of toughened glass perhaps a well placed question in the hardware aria or the diy aria of the forum miht help. as for info on breeding fish i dont have much to offer i only really have one site it covers the basics of breeding types of tropicals im not shure if gold fish are coered but its worth a look good luck with ure tank. that site i mentioned

Most reactions

Back