New aquarium

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

bruceparks

Reaction score
I just got my 75 gallon set up. I haven't had a tank in 15 years or so. And back then all I've had was a 20 g with tetras. I've got a list of fish I'm thinking of purchasing and would like opinions on if they will all work together. I know they're not real sharks but kind of interested in rainbow shark and electric green shark. Thinking I should be ok with 2 since they are semi aggressive. Looking at a couple snails (Nerite or Mystery). I was thinking of putting in a small red clawed crab and 3 ghost shrimp. Was thinking I might need Algae eater but they grow pretty big. Maybe snails will be good enough to keep clean. Add a few more of them if needed? Velvet Wag Swordtail looks pretty cool but just doing one cause I heard they reproduce fast. 3 Black Kuhli Loach and 3 silver hatchetfish. Lastly a Cory Catfish. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I came up with about 63" of full grown fish for 75 gallon. I know there are a lot of bottom feeders. Don't know if you can have that many together or how they'll react to that space

Last edited:
Hello and welcome :)

Do you know the GH of your water supply? This could help assess fish suitability.

You could look up your ideas on https://www.seriouslyfish.com to see if your conditions are suitability. There is also some information on compatibility on there.

Welcome, and I hope you enjoy the forum!

Most "shark" type fish (catfish, usually) are listed as semi aggressive because they like to have their own territory, on the other hand Corydoras have no sense of territory. It might be attacked and killed. The Corydoras also like to be in schools of 6 or more. So do the hatchetfish.
If you want swordtails, you can purchase only males. Males will have the "swords" and females will not. All of that said, knowing the hardness of the water will tell you what fish are best suited to your tap water.

Welcome to the forum...is the tank cycled?...before adding fish, read up on the Nitrogen Cycle in aquariums.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back