New Aquarium thoughts

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Swell UK have a wide range of aesthetic tanks.

Second hand tanks can often be barely used due to people not persevering with the hobby but yes, there is a risk that it would leak.

A 240l tank needs a 300 watt heater. If it really comes with one 150watt heater, ask if they can send two for the same price.

I have Juwel tanks, they are a nice quality and the filters work well and have plenty of room. My one disappointment is one of the two lights is a 1000k daylight bulb which seems to encourage all types of algae. I think they were trying to cover both a planted tank and a marine tank with the two bulbs which obviously doesn't work and, as they don't run independently of one another, you have to fork out for a replacement.

Greetings! Unless you have a specific reason to go with a pre-kitted tank, I'd source parts that I select myself. As I've learned both with building tanks and gaming computers this approach can be very rewarding intellectually. Good fortune WelshBoa, in whatever you decide! ?

a lot of prices increased because of Brexit, if this is a real reason or quick money grab i don't know, but a lot went up by 10%+

Eheim equipment is still good, but not like it used to be

I have bought a few 2nd hand tanks, prefer to buy new for the other bits replacing 2nd hand lights/heaters etc as i go along.

Even sold a tank and stand for £10 just so i didnt have to take it to the tip

Best one was bought 2nd hand tank and the courier/van man dropped it, so i got a brand new on his insurance

I second, second hand tanks. ;)

In the US there is a pet store called “PetCo”, that has a “$ per gallon” sale. Meaning that any tank from 5g-40g is $5-$40. It’s a really good deal, and I picked up a 29g for $30 a few years ago. All of my other tanks I got from my LFS, or Craigslist.

One more question for the moment. One of the fluval tanks I'm looking at has the canister filter pipework coming up through the base of the glass tank.

This looks quite neat in an OCD way, but are there any specific benefits or disadvantages to this type of arrangement?

One more question for the moment. One of the fluval tanks I'm looking at has the canister filter pipework coming up through the base of the glass tank.

This looks quite neat in an OCD way, but are there any specific benefits or disadvantages to this type of arrangement?
Do you mean like a sump overflow?

Not quite. So there is an external canister filter that comes with it in the cabinet. A fluval 307 I think from memory. But rather than it feeding into the tank from the lid, it's passed up through sealed pipes through the bottom of the glass tank.....

Fluval Roma 240. If you do a Google image search will see the pipe connectors (and mentioned in product description)

Welcome to the forum... :hi: I think that on this forum it is about equal with people from the UK and from the US. It does get a bit confusing for people in the US when people from the UK use liters as it does when people from the US use gallons for others from the UK. Also when giving out website links for ordering this or that. But we muddle through....lol

Not quite. So there is an external canister filter that comes with it in the cabinet. A fluval 307 I think from memory. But rather than it feeding into the tank from the lid, it's passed up through sealed pipes through the bottom of the glass tank.....
By running the filter input/output lines inside the aquarium, you can place the aquarium against the wall ie: no need for a gap. The input lines would always startup when you turn on the filter, no need to start a siphon.

Mark

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back