New Aquarium thoughts

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

WelshBoa

Reaction score
I've kept tropical fish over the years and recently bought my daughter a 105l tropical set up for her birthday.

Of course now the bug has caught me again and I'm looking to buy a larger aquarium (250l).

I'm not sure whether this is a predominantly US forum or whether there are members from thr UK on here too where I am based.

Maidenhead aquatics do a few Fluval aquarium setups but these seem to come with internal filters which I'm guessing aren't as good as an external type?

The Juwel range also do some decent tanks which come with external filters. Just looking for some advice if possible...

hi and welcome

there are a few of us Brits on here.

the internal filters on fluval tanks are pretty good, but it depends on what fish your daughter wants to keep.

if she wants big fish then you may need to upgrade the filter

i bought an aqua-one aquavogue 245, this came with external filter and the led lights.

it depends on how much you want to spend and there are better shops out there than Maidenhead and pets at home.

I ordered mine from Charterhouse aquatics and had it delivered

Thanks for your reply, appreciated.

Yes gathered by going to a main stream aquarium place (e.g.Maidenheads) may not get best value for money.

I've done quite an extensive search online but struggling to find better deals. My daughter already has her tank set up. Thus one will be for me.

I'm pretty open minded on what I want at present to be honest. Not helpful I know but larger tank will give more opportunity to consider. I guess having always had standard live bearers/neons/ etc in various sized tanks will probably want to explore slightly larger fish or more colourful such as cichlids etc.

Maidenhead aquatics do a few Fluval aquarium setups but these seem to come with internal filters which I'm guessing aren't as good as an external type?
Welcome to the forum! :hi:

Internal filters are usually best for smaller tanks, while external filters are best for bigger tanks.

For a tank that big, I would look into getting a canister filter. I hear good things about Fluval canisters.

I've got a juwel with an internal filter, it's pretty decent once you work out you can use your own sponges and media..
Got mine from an independent shop rather than a big dealer.

if MA have it in stock or you can collect then it is ok, they seem to charge £50+ for delivery so not always as cheap.

as @Stanster59 has said, fluvals internal filters are pretty good and tend to be a bit bigger than required.

Again depends on the fish you want as to the filter you need, External may give you a bit more breathing space for which fish you can keep.

I have kept malawi chichlids , they are colourful but need to be overstocked so will need decent external filter. they live over rocks so that all you need.

there are other colourful african chiclids, i've not kept any american ones but a there are colourful ones but they tend to be bigger as well

Yes I need to do a lot more reading to be honest. I bought a large tank good few years ago that had discus in it and managed to keep them healthy before a marital split meant they had to be rehomed with the tank.

Good to hear the fluval internal filters are decent.

Had a quick browse on Charterhouse earlier today, will have a closer look!

Never had problem, with charterhouse

Any problems they are quick to help as well if needed.

Just stay away from marine side can cost you a lot more

Yes I need to do a lot more reading to be honest. I bought a large tank good few years ago that had discus in it and managed to keep them healthy before a marital split meant they had to be rehomed with the tank.

Good to hear the fluval internal filters are decent.

Had a quick browse on Charterhouse earlier today, will have a closer look!

I said Juwel, the bioflow filters.

Welcome! Quite a few Brits here, and Maidenhead is really good on a whole. You can find some great tanks of all sizes on eBay for the UK. I saw an 8ft one sell for £124 a few days ago.
Currently looking for a 4ft for my nan, and there's been a lot of good choice (just all too far away)

Welcome! Quite a few Brits here, and Maidenhead is really good on a whole. You can find some great tanks of all sizes on eBay for the UK. I saw an 8ft one sell for £124 a few days ago.
Currently looking for a 4ft for my nan, and there's been a lot of good choice (just all too far away)
I have had a quick browse on eBay and Gumtree. My concern is if the tank isn't full would get me worried it may be damaged but then PayPal should cover it unless seller claims damaged in transit

Agree massive savings to be had. Am going to go to my LFS tomorrow.which isn't a chain or franchise. They may have a random tank or two up for grabs

I've just installed a replacement tank. I talked to Maidenhead, but was gobsmacked with the prices of new Jewel tanks. Its not just Maidenhead, the on line prices were just as huge. What are they, to justify their prices, they are just bits of glass siliconed together, with bits of plastic on top and a few bits of chipboard screwed together to stand it on.
Sorry if I sound a bit mean, but I like value for my cash.
So off I went to Facebook market place, and bought an excellent tank, stand and lid for about 20% of the retail price.
Bought the filters, heater etc locally.
Good luck with whatever you choose to do??

Yeah there are definitely bargains to be had in second hand market and that wouldn't phase me per se. Its just transporting back, being sure no damage to tank etc.

I've been looking this morning at the Eheim Vivaline 240 tanks. Whilst not basing it solely on aesthetics, some of the other tank cabinets wouldn't really go with the decor in my living room with different shades of wood.

It seems well reviewed, can't really find much info on their lighting system, and the heater at 150w seems quite low compared to similar sized tanks in fluval and jewel range at 200 / 300w. Does the lower wattage mean it will take longer initially to get up to temps, or draw more electric as less efficient?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back