New and needing help!

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Addison35

Reaction score
Hello all, my name is Addison and I am a fish lover and seeking advice for a fish situation. I have an albino crayfish I've had for eight months, she lives in a communal tank of guppies, rasbora, tetras and danios. She is somehow spontaneously pregnant with hundreds of eggs and I've been told to get a bigger fish to eat the babies. I can love the community of small fish to another tank I have and just put in a bigger fish to eat the babies but I don't know what kind of bigger fish to get, any advice?!? All questions welcome if that will help you get a better idea, any and all words are appreciated!! Thank you!

Attachments

• 20210303_090924.jpg
    20210303_090924.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 71
Welcome to the forum! :hi:

I wouldn’t get any fish to eat the babies. Do you have an LFS (local fish store) near you? Your LFS may take (or even pay you for) the babies.

My worry with raising them is she's in a 20GL with various danios rasboras and tetras, and I can't house them all. I also feel them eating fish food isn't the same as fresh, although I don't know of course

Welcome to the forum! :hi:

I wouldn’t get any fish to eat the babies. Do you have an LFS (local fish store) near you? Your LFS may take (or even pay you for) the babies.
I tried, calling multiple places and all told me in more or less words to deal with it on my own. I reached out to my Facebook community and other social media and can't find any takers

I tried, calling multiple places and all told me in more or less words to deal with it on my own. I reached out to my Facebook community and other social media and can't find any takers
If you can’t find any takers, you may have to exterminate them. :(

You could always get another tank solely for crawfish, but I don’t know if you have the budget/space to do so.

You can create a Craigslist post, and post them under “Free Stuff”. Make sure to add tags like, “Fish”, “free fish”, “aquarium”, “fish tank”, “crawfish”, etc.

try small businesses. not like petsmart or them. or try fish stores that are just opening. that way if they are small or just starting they’ll be looking for stock. I see that you live in Colorado, I go to a place called the Fish Den and I am pretty sure they take in fish. I’ll give you their website info:
https://fishdendenver.com/
Hope this helps!?

Do you have a male crayfish in the tank?
If not, then the eggs won't be fertile and the female has simply produced them because she is mature and came into breeding season.

If you do have a male in the tank, chances are most of the babies won't survive and any that do can be sold or given away.

If you can’t find any takers, you may have to exterminate them. :(

You could always get another tank solely for crawfish, but I don’t know if you have the budget/space to do so.

You can create a Craigslist post, and post them under “Free Stuff”. Make sure to add tags like, “Fish”, “free fish”, “aquarium”, “fish tank”, “crawfish”, etc.
Thank you for the advice... Such a crazy turn of events.

Do you have a male crayfish in the tank?
If not, then the eggs won't be fertile and the female has simply produced them because she is mature and came into breeding season.

If you do have a male in the tank, chances are most of the babies won't survive and any that do can be sold or given away.
I have never had a male in the tank so this is very helpful to know, thank you!

try small businesses. not like petsmart or them. or try fish stores that are just opening. that way if they are small or just starting they’ll be looking for stock. I see that you live in Colorado, I go to a place called the Fish Den and I am pretty sure they take in fish. I’ll give you their website info:
https://fishdendenver.com/
Hope this helps!?
Thank you much!!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back