New and Lost!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Torkel

Reaction score
Good Morning!

I'm new here and am already lost!

Brand new to the hobby, and always wanted a large tank in my house, so went to LFS and got a quote on a build. It's a Red Sea (350) system and the build including all components (excluding fish and live coral) was $5,000.

It's pretty daunting to jump in this without any knowledge and dropping so much money. I know I will enjoy the hobby and I prefer to go large up front to make the aquarium a long time investment; however, I just don't know where to start.

My LFS offered to help me with the setup and maintenance (at a cost) but I'm concerned about wasting a bunch of money. Also I am a little skeptical with all-in-one (packages) solutions, I prefer to hand pick the best equipment for long term use.

So where did you guys begin and learn about running and maintaining a salt water aquarium? I'm in no rush to get fish. I am comfortable just running a coral system first to learn to absolute basics.

What are the good reference books out there? YouTubers to follow?

Good Morning!

I'm new here and am already lost!

Brand new to the hobby, and always wanted a large tank in my house, so went to LFS and got a quote on a build. It's a Red Sea (350) system and the build including all components (excluding fish and live coral) was $5,000.

It's pretty daunting to jump in this without any knowledge and dropping so much money. I know I will enjoy the hobby and I prefer to go large up front to make the aquarium a long time investment; however, I just don't know where to start.

My LFS offered to help me with the setup and maintenance (at a cost) but I'm concerned about wasting a bunch of money. Also I am a little skeptical with all-in-one (packages) solutions, I prefer to hand pick the best equipment for long term use.

So where did you guys begin and learn about running and maintaining a salt water aquarium? I'm in no rush to get fish. I am comfortable just running a coral system first to learn to absolute basics.

What are the good reference books out there? YouTubers to follow?
Unless you've already bought it, I would recommend a 40 gallon (not too small not too big). I wouldnt get something humungous just to have everything die... Also, not saying its impossible to start with saltwater but it is a little harder than fresh so do keep that in mind

Unless you've already bought it, I would recommend a 40 gallon (not too small not too big). I wouldnt get something humungous just to have everything die... Also, not saying its impossible to start with saltwater but it is a little harder than fresh so do keep that in mind
Thank you. I haven't purchased anything yet because my gut is telling me to do my research first.

What are you getting for $5,000?

That seems very steep to me unless im reading into this wrong.

Red sea 350's are around 1,400 online. Surely the components etc arent adding to that amount.

Ive not done salt water set ups and i know they arent cheap so i maybe wrong but it sounds alot to me.

Id advise starting tropical then moving onto salt further down the line

Last edited:
Thank you. I haven't purchased anything yet because my gut is telling me to do my research first.
Yes, always research. I researched for a year after I killed a betta :(... And im just starting to cycle my tank... Read this if you havent heard about how to cycle an aquarium: https://www.fishforums.net/threads/cycling-your-new-fresh-water-tank-read-this-first.421488/ This goes for both fresh and salt water... there is also a silent cycling method which uses plants... BUT you are devoting yourself to also care for the plants... (easier than corals lol)

Thank you for all of the responses! Yes the build they recommended was:

Tank: Red Sea Reefer 350 $1980
Pump: Sicce Syncra Adv $170
Heater: Aquatop Titanium (x2) totaling $180
Skimmer: IceCap K1-130 $190
Wave Pump: Sicce Xstream Powerhead (x3) totaling $270
Wave Controller: Sicce Voyager $100
Light: Kessil A360X (x2) totaling $900
Light Accessories: Kessil Gooseneck, Clamps, Adapter, Cables, Wifi dongle about $250
Sand: 20lb $90
Rock: Base Rock $3/lb x 75 lb, $225

Light Accessories: Kessil Gooseneck, Clamps, Adapter, Cables, Wifi dongle about $250
I dont have a single clue about salt water supplies... so imma just leave it to the experts like @PheonixKingZ

The RSR 350 is an awesome tank. Are you buying it new?

That’s also a good list, some nice brands. I started out watching YouTube videos (Reefing Dork, Bull Reef Supply, etc), which really helped.

The RSR 350 is an awesome tank. Are you buying it new?

That’s also a good list, some nice brands. I started out watching YouTube videos (Reefing Dork, Bull Reef Supply, etc), which really helped.
Yes, everything would be new. I will check out the Youtubers! Thank you!

Corals are a LOT harder to care for than fish and require perfect water conditions and a lot of knowledge.

5k seems pricey but if that is including lights, powerheads, skimmer, pumps etc it might be reasonable.

Honestly trying to go straight into marine with no fish keeping knowledge is a pretty difficult step and there is a lot that can go wrong. It's not impossible but is very, very hard.

Corals are a LOT harder to care for than fish and require perfect water conditions and a lot of knowledge.

5k seems pricey but if that is including lights, powerheads, skimmer, pumps etc it might be reasonable.

Honestly trying to go straight into marine with no fish keeping knowledge is a pretty difficult step and there is a lot that can go wrong. It's not impossible but is very, very hard.
Exactly my thoughts....

$2000 is too expensive for a tank and stand IMO
i would buy a quality tank separately and build your own cabinet
even buying all of the tools you need such as a miter saw, power drill, etc will be cheaper in the end
(unless you aren't much of a woodworker and money isn't an issue for you)

$2000 is too expensive for a tank and stand IMO
i would buy a quality tank separately and build your own cabinet
even buying all of the tools you need such as a miter saw, power drill, etc will be cheaper in the end
(unless you aren't much of a woodworker and money isn't an issue for you)
Thank you! This is what I was thinking as well, because I have the woodworking tools already at home, and was considering building my own cabinet!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back