New Addition Not Doing Well

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

fishwatcher

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
South Carolina... Smiling Faces, Beautiful Places.
I just got back from the lfs with a royal gramma. Beautiful little fish! However, as I was floating her bag (I think all RG's are female... they look like little princess fish to me) I noticed she was not acting right... seemed to be on her side a good bit. As I finished acclimating her and added her to her tank she immediately went into some rock. That's been almost an hour ago and I still see no sign of her. Should I be worried considering the way she was laying on her side? Should I try to find her?
I would have called the lfs but they closed literally 5 minutes after I got her. The weird thing is she looked great in the tank at the store, and the drive home was only 20 min.
Thanks!

she is sulking and stressed out from being stuck in a bag and moved. Give her a day to settle in and see how things go. Royal Grammas spend most of their time hanging around rocks and if they feel threatened they dart into a hole in the rocks and stay there until they feel safe enough to come back out.

Yeah, I had one before a while back (though I don't remember it being this way when I first got it), so I'm used to how they normally act. But she still hasn't made any appearance at all... I'm beginning to worry. I may feed the tank some bloodworms today and see if that entices her to come out.
I sure do love those fish, so I hope she's ok.
Thanks for the help!

I had the same thing happen to a 6 line last week. Seemed OK at first but they the end of the hour aclimatisation it was looking a little dodgy. I added it to the tank and it swam of into the rock work. Needless to say I found the dead body the next day :( Sometimes happens I guess with no apparent reason. She may make it only time will tell.

I had the same thing happen to a 6 line last week. Seemed OK at first but they the end of the hour aclimatisation it was looking a little dodgy. I added it to the tank and it swam of into the rock work. Needless to say I found the dead body the next day :( Sometimes happens I guess with no apparent reason. She may make it only time will tell.

cyanide? It may explain the 0 symptom look in the beginning, followed by a quick death.

cyanide? It may explain the 0 symptom look in the beginning, followed by a quick death.

It does make you wonder, and the colours on the fish where very bright indeed. But it came from the same place I get all my fish and its been the first fish I have ever lost from them due to shipping stress. Ive had others arrive a bit ragged and 90% have made a good recovery. It was all a bit strange to say the least as I got another 6 fish in that batch and the other 5 are doing great.

royal grammas come from the Caribbean and are net caught. They don't use cyanide where they come from.

Yes, a practice used more commonly by underpaid overworked local divers in the pacific... As mentioned, it's very rare in the carribean but can happen there too...

Not that it really matters probably, but I just wanted to let you all know that RG is starting to come out a little now. She was even chasing flakes this morning. Her and my goby were having some territory issues, but it seems to be settling.
Thanks for the advice!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back