New Acara

jacko32

looking for a hard headed woman
Reaction score
bought 2 new acara yesterday wanted to see if it was actually a red flag or if anyone has another id for them

Cant tell from the pic too small can you get a pic more specifically of the acara and bigger?

Cant tell from the pic too small can you get a pic more specifically of the acara and bigger?
been trying to upload better pics but it just keeps saying file too big and i dont know how to make it smaller this is the only other picture i can upload

That is a true Blue Acara 'Andinoacara Pulcher'

The type you usually see with the yellow top fins that look similar to Green Terrors are Andinoacara latifrons.

Actually on second look im not 100%

Take a few pics when he/she has settled in more WITHOUT the flash :p

Ahh its 100% a Blue Acara, Andinoacara Latifrons (not Pulcher, although very similar)

By the shape of the fins on Acaras is the best known method and also strength of colouration when older, plus Males get a slight 'kok' hump on the head....pretty much the same as Green Terrors.

The general rule is males have longer pointy fins and females have rounded off fins, so the last picture you posted makes me think 90% sure its male.

...However you can never be 100% as far as any Andinoacara (Aequidins) species go.

I disagree fins are not the best way to sex them. My female and male have the same fin shape and size. Yours is a female Blue acara. The females have a sloping head shape. The male will have a bit mnore of a square shape head even at a small size you can see it. I have a breeding pair and yours looks like my female.

I disagree fins are not the best way to sex them. My female and male have the same fin shape and size. Yours is a female Blue acara. The females have a sloping head shape. The male will have a bit mnore of a square shape head even at a small size you can see it. I have a breeding pair and yours looks like my female.

Did you read everything i wrote?

Did you read everything i wrote?
yeah it looks like 2 females then doesnt it ?

so if its a blue acara then how large will it get i bought them as red flags which are dwarfs im gessing this blue acara isnt

Yes I read it .

"By the shape of the fins on Acaras is the best known method and also strength of colouration when older"

I disagree that is not the best method. That's all. Every other thing you said I agree with.

They get to be 6-8" .

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back