New 75g tank. Looking for tank mates for German Blue Rams

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Bnut

Reaction score
Hi,
I have a new 75g planted tank set up and am looking for some stocking options. I want to have German Blue Rams not sure if it would be okay to have more than two in the tank. Also looking for other fish that would be compatible with them that could handle the higher temperatures.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

What are the tank dimensions (length x width x height)?

What is the GH (general hardness), KH (carbonate hardness) and pH of your water supply?
This information can usually be obtained from your water supply company's website or by telephoning them. If they can't help you, take a glass full of tap water to the local pet shop and get them to test it for you. Write the results down (in numbers) when they do the tests. And ask them what the results are in (eg: ppm, dGH, or something else).

Depending on what the GH of your water is, will determine what fish you should keep.

Angelfish, most tetras, most barbs, Bettas, gouramis, rasbora, Corydoras and small species of suckermouth catfish all occur in soft water (GH below 150ppm) and a pH below 7.0. Rams fall into this category.

Livebearers (guppies, platies, swordtails, mollies), rainbowfish and goldfish occur in medium hard water with a GH around 200-250ppm and a pH above 7.0.

If you have very hard water (GH above 300ppm) then look at African Rift Lake cichlids, or use distilled or reverse osmosis water to reduce the GH and keep fishes from softer water.

A pair of blue rams is probably all you want in the tank but getting a pair that like each other is the problem. You can sometimes find 2 fish hanging out together in a pet shop and they turn into a pr, but if you grab any 2 fish (male & female) and put them together, they might not get along.

The best way to get a pr of cichlids is to put a group of 8-10 young fish together and let them pair off naturally. Then move the pairs to their own tanks or leave the pr and move the other fish out.

--------------------
Cardinal tetras and a few other tetras would be ok with rams in that tank.

Some of the Corydoras can tolerate warmer water but you would have to go through and find the ones that do. The following link is from Seriouslyfish and has a search engine that lets you check out different types of fish, including tetras and catfish.

Last edited:
Rummy Nose Tetras and Sterbai Cories are a bit of a classic combo with Rams.

I agree with Colin best to start with a group of 8 Rams and let them pair off. IMO you might be ok with 2 pairs in a 75 as long as you scape the tank with lots of wood and rocks for territory and very heavy planting. Like a wild jungle nature aquarium style.

Wills

just a side note for the Sterbai, I had them initially in like 27-28°C and they were not really that active, at 26°C their behavior is vastly different and they are all over the place, so I guess check at which temp they were raised, since they are always local and it may make a difference.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back