New 70 Gallon W/ Stand!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

trit0n2003

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Just upgraded from my 36 gallon bow front!
w00t.gif

One of my college class mates hooked me up with his 70 gallon tank with gravel/ driftwood/ rocks/ lighting/ and stand for $40! Such an amazing deal i couldn't pass it up.

I will be posting pictures of it soon, its up and running but still need to fine tune the setup of the wood and rocks and how to place all the plants that will be put in. Cant wait until the brown color from the wood starts to clear up also.

BUT it will be awesome when it is all done.

Sounds like a great deal. Did it come with a mature filter, or do you have to cycle it?

No filter from him, instead I am using my mature filters from my 36 gallon tank. On my 36 gallon I used two HOB filters both rated for up to a 55 gallon tank ( i like to over filter rather than not have enough). So, i actually just transfered all the water/gravel and items from the 36 gallon into the 70 and filled the remaining water level with fresh and let it run. The two HOB's are still going to be just fine on a 70 gallon, and I knew the water was in good shape when i was seeing lots of my zebra fish fry hatching and thriving in the new tank (they drop eggs every #41#### day lol gives all the other tank mates lots of fresh caviar and live food to eat). So LOTS of little free swimmers have been occupying the tank lately and ive been adding my other fish back into it from their temporary homes in my extra 10 gallon tanks i use for raising fish/ growing plants/ quarantine/ etc.

I actually saved about 30 fry and am going to raise those to put into the tank for a nice school of zebras :D

*Red with jealousy and envy* :shout:
Great deal, what fish do you plan to add?
I hope you add Discus :good:

*Red with jealousy and envy* :shout:
Great deal, what fish do you plan to add?
I hope you add Discus :good:

I want to make this tank look beautiful and heavily planted.

As of now my ideas for my new fish to add will be some of the following:
-Neon Tetras (decent sized school to add some really outstanding color against the green and brown)
-Zebra Danios (decent sized school, i just love how active and fun these guys are.. plus they breed ALOT so all my other fish get live food everyday)
-Juli Cory Cats (small school, good clean up crew that are pretty fun to watch)
-Chinese algae eaters (less glass cleaning for me lol i would use a pleco but those get HUGE.. no thanks)
-Blue spot Gouramis ( Just cool looking little guys for some color)
-Angels (the silver with black stripes and red eyes, looks more wild and matches the theme)
-Discus (Havent decided on the color yet BUT i love the bright red or blue ones that just POP out and attract your eye)
-Blue Ram's (my all time favorite fish)
-I also have 1 bala shark right now (juvenile) that i took from a friend, i might possibly keep him and maybe give him a tank mate. BUT we shall see.

These are my ideas so far :D

Sounds like a great deal.

A few problems in the stocking though
Neon Tetras - might get eaten by the bigger fish. cardinal tetera would be better
Zebra Danios - do best at subtropical temps and really wont like the temps discus and blue rams need
Chinese algae eaters - grow big and get very aggressive. There are plenty of plecs that will work in a tank this size or if your not that keen on plecs a few types of whiptails would work
Angels - might eat the neon tetra
Discus - need higher temps 28-32C and alot more care than general fish need
Blue Rams - need higher temps 28-32C

If you want discus then you will have to centre the tank around them there not just a fish that will work in any tank.

Sounds like a great deal.

A few problems in the stocking though
Neon Tetras - might get eaten by the bigger fish. cardinal tetera would be better
Zebra Danios - do best at subtropical temps and really wont like the temps discus and blue rams need
Chinese algae eaters - grow big and get very aggressive. There are plenty of plecs that will work in a tank this size or if your not that keen on plecs a few types of whiptails would work
Angels - might eat the neon tetra
Discus - need higher temps 28-32C and alot more care than general fish need
Blue Rams - need higher temps 28-32C

If you want discus then you will have to centre the tank around them there not just a fish that will work in any tank.

Thanks for the input, like i said its all just ideas at the point until i can figure out exactly how i want to go with it and what combination will work.

thats a better deal than what I got for my 40 gallon!
That sound nice,any pics of your tank and zebra fry?

photo-6.jpg

here is how its been sitting and running, I just kinda placed things in there in a "what ever" style for now until i can determine the way i want to style it.

photo-7.jpg

Here are the zebra fry I caught from the tank ( took forever lol i used a syringe with an extension of vacuum line to suck them up)

also, in the next week or so i will be purchasing a better hood and lighting system. the one it came with is just a single bulb, for the plants i want to put in im going to increase the lighting. and most likely create my own DIY CO2 reactor

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back