New 60l tank - can I add more?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

FishBearer9845

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hello
So many of you know Iā€™ve been cycling a tank. This was purchased due not doing enough research for the water hardness in relation to the fish Iā€™m keeping. I donā€™t have room for anything bigger so purchased a 60l long tank to rehome the corys. (58.8 (l) x 32 (d) x 42.5 (h))
The water is a 60/40 silution of RO/tap respectively, taking the gh down to 10-12 max. (Yes, I live literally on a chalk bed)
These are some pics of my corys - 6 in total
2 albinos are from pets at home, 2 from a local fish store. Iā€™ve tried to get pics of all the albinos but as they were bought as 2 and 2 I assume theyā€™ll be the same type in each 2 at least.

B819B3FD-BC0D-46FC-9CE8-9B51274396DA.jpeg

21EA9803-FE3D-4304-99F7-4BBF026A39E4.jpeg

0E67C310-F52A-4D91-8BF6-F37321062F92.jpeg

26E5B56C-41A9-4AEF-81D4-482BC485BB7E.jpeg

My question being, can I either add a couple more bronzes? Or a top/mid swimmer with them and what? I would like to add that this tank was for the corys and if it is these 6 only, thatā€™s fine. It was meant for them in the first place and Iā€™m just pondering if something could be added, thatā€™s all. These babes sit together nicely too, very lucky maybe they accept each other like that?
Thank you for taking the time to read and/or respond

Hello
So many of you know Iā€™ve been cycling a tank. This was purchased due not doing enough research for the water hardness in relation to the fish Iā€™m keeping. I donā€™t have room for anything bigger so purchased a 60l long tank to rehome the corys. (58.8 (l) x 32 (d) x 42.5 (h))
The water is a 60/40 silution of RO/tap respectively, taking the gh down to 10-12 max. (Yes, I live literally on a chalk bed)
These are some pics of my corys - 6 in total
2 albinos are from pets at home, 2 from a local fish store. Iā€™ve tried to get pics of all the albinos but as they were bought as 2 and 2 I assume theyā€™ll be the same type in each 2 at least.

View attachment 117540
View attachment 117541
View attachment 117542
View attachment 117544
My question being, can I either add a couple more bronzes? Or a top/mid swimmer with them and what? I would like to add that this tank was for the corys and if it is these 6 only, thatā€™s fine. It was meant for them in the first place and Iā€™m just pondering if something could be added, thatā€™s all. These babes sit together nicely too, very lucky maybe they accept each other like that?
Thank you for taking the time to read and/or respond
Almost all corydoras will school together, but they appreciate their own kind.

So I dont think you have loads of space left but you could accommodate a small school of some small tetras like Golds or Embers? 8 or so would work well.

Or you could get a couple more Bronze Cories, they will school with others but I would stick to these. You can get line bred black bronze which look pretty cool if you could find them :)

Wills

So I dont think you have loads of space left but you could accommodate a small school of some small tetras like Golds or Embers? 8 or so would work well.

Or you could get a couple more Bronze Cories, they will school with others but I would stick to these. You can get line bred black bronze which look pretty cool if you could find them :)

Wills
Ooohh, those look awesome! Are they the ones that I've seen called Venezuelan corydoras? @NCaquatics you have one don't you? Are the black ones usually aenus, or can they be other species too?

Ooohh, those look awesome! Are they the ones that I've seen called Venezuelan corydoras? @NCaquatics you have one don't you? Are the black ones usually aenus, or can they be other species too?
I think there are a couple of black species so worth making sure they are C.Aeneus
Wills

I think there are a couple of black species so worth making sure they are C.Aeneus
Wills
Ah, but that's easier said than done!
My LFS had a couple of the black ones in when I picked up my new bronzes, but I didn't know then that they might be the same species, or I would have got a couple. They were just labelled Venezuelans, so I thought they were a species I didn't know.

I still struggle to tell whether an albino is an aeneus or paleatus. I'd only know sterbai by the yellow fins.

Thank you all so much for the feedback already. Will any of the tetra varieties be okay in a small school, or will say, cardinals be too big? Also, what about rasboras instead? My lfs has some, and also had a fish that looks like a rummynose. (Iā€™m pretty sure anyway!)

Edit - Blimey, I didnā€™t realise some tetras get quite a size for a small fish.

Ah, but that's easier said than done!
My LFS had a couple of the black ones in when I picked up my new bronzes, but I didn't know then that they might be the same species, or I would have got a couple. They were just labelled Venezuelans, so I thought they were a species I didn't know.

I still struggle to tell whether an albino is an aeneus or paleatus. I'd only know sterbai by the yellow fins.

I believe most Albino are Aeneus, from a quick search the black Venezuelans are considered a variant of Aeneus rather than a specific species - when you look at the vast number of Cories now with all the C and CW numbers if this wasnt accurate it would have be clearly labeled as a unique species.

Thank you all so much for the feedback already. Will any of the tetra varieties be okay in a small school, or will say, cardinals be too big? Also, what about rasboras instead? My lfs has some, and also had a fish that looks like a rummynose. (Iā€™m pretty sure anyway!)

You would be best with the smallest of the Tetras, I think Cardinals would get too big. What about Green Neons? They are quite a small species but still very nice. In terms of Rasboras the Rummy Noses are more of a hard water fish but you could look at some of the Chilli Rasbora species which could look cool :)

Wills

Ive got "Venezuela black" cory, also called black schultzei or black aeneus depending who you ask.
Note brown fins, pale belly, can just make out the side blotch darker on the body.
20200708_125102.jpg

I believe most Albino are Aeneus, from a quick search the black Venezuelans are considered a variant of Aeneus rather than a specific species - when you look at the vast number of Cories now with all the C and CW numbers if this wasnt accurate it would have be clearly labeled as a unique species.

Wills
There are actually quite a handful of albino variants.
I made up a list to compare them too.

Most common is aeneus, but paleatus is next up and can often be found mixed in albino aeneus tanks (where I find mine lol)

Ive got "Venezuela black" cory, also called black schultzei or black aeneus depending who you ask.
Note brown fins, pale belly, can just make out the side blotch darker on the body.
View attachment 117562

There are actually quite a handful of albino variants.
I made up a list to compare them too.

Most common is aeneus, but paleatus is next up and can often be found mixed in albino aeneus tanks (where I find mine lol)
Eeek! So pretty. Does yours school with the bronzes/albino bronzes at all? It sorta looks sleeker than a typical aeneus to me, but maybe this one is male and I'm just used to looking at females? I really like these, kinda want a couple, but only if they're likely to be aeneus and hang out together:)

Eeek! So pretty. Does yours school with the bronzes/albino bronzes at all? It sorta looks sleeker than a typical aeneus to me, but maybe this one is male and I'm just used to looking at females? I really like these, kinda want a couple, but only if they're likely to be aeneus and hang out together:)
He sometimes sits with the aeneus. Sometimes sits with my sterbai. Many times chills on my plants. Hes always go go go this one, mingles during downtime though. Doesn't seem bothered at all who he is around. He is a young male, though.

Some sources claim schultzei is a different species than aeneus, but recently was decided to be the same as aeneus again. "Aeneus" is already tricky because the true aeneus originated only in Trinidad. The rest on the mainland looked similar, and this is where the main stock for the hobby originated from, rather than the original. Because it started so muddled up, it's hard to say for sure if the aeneus *tank bred* today are that species or a mix up of similar ones. So they're basically all slapped under the same label as its too difficult to go back and trace exactly what these ones are. Some sources now also say the laser cories are really back to being classed as aeneus too, where others claim them separately.

All in all, though, to answer, a couple of these guys would be fine mixed in with aeneus. This is a tankbred colour mutation, like albino is.

Four of my green neon tetras settling in :wub: Ended up with 9 as I didn't want to leave the last one in there on it's own

They look blue but are honestly green! Lovely luminescence in varying lights and almost like a spearmint colour
120201552_345102116801785_2007465912975794241_n.jpg

Last edited:
Four of my green neon tetras settling in :wub: Ended up with 9 as I didn't want to leave the last one in there on it's own

They look blue but are honestly green! Lovely luminescence in varying lights and almost like a spearmint colour
View attachment 117799
Gorgeous!! :wub:

Could we get a full tank shot, pretty please? :D

Sure thang :banana:
The tank is an Aqua Home 60, a Maidenhead Aquatics ā€˜own brandā€™ tank but, itā€™s actually a Superfish tank and setup (I know this as the paraphernalia and the tape used to line/seal the box was Superfish)
Driftwood is from local LFS and was quite pricey! Took six weeks to become waterlogged enough to not float. Rocks are smooth like pebbles. 60/40 RO/tap respectively. Plants are of tropica brand. Tank was cycled fishless following the guide on here and finished this week.
085E2309-4F32-4B96-B6E8-8D2456B6833A.jpeg

E397EF0B-4F1F-4626-A3BC-24634E1322F0.jpeg
D08C9276-E26B-4DFE-8B0B-C2A163BA5372.jpeg

This tank has four levels of dimmable lights and two levels of blue lights. I turned them off (blue) after taking this pic, actually because Iā€™m not that keen. It also had a gradual sunrise setting and sunset too actually. Really nice. You can see them in the bottom right corner together. I removed the internal box that holds the heater and filter, the heater I prefer to see rather than be hidden and the filter has suction cups anyway and isnā€™t particularly unsightly, plus it gives even more room.

Just need the plants to grow. Might move some salvinia from my other two as it grows so quick

I also have almond leaves coming to help with tannins

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back