New 60g Planted Journal

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
SLIM said:
Awesome. Plants looking very green. Hows the ferts and carbon working for you? Seen improvements yet? Algae going?

Everything seems to be going good. The scrub brush is still popping up everywhere :angry: but my plants are looking good. I think what my tank needs is a powerhead.  It's a tricky tank :shifty: lol

Sounds it lol yea our planted tanks always benefit from good flow;-)

Yeah. i think it would be ok if it weren't for the huge piece of wood in there, it just blocks one end of the tank off. AND every time i turn my external off to do a wc, it spews out all the sludgey stuff when i turn it back on :angry:

My filter in my last tank did this. What I used to do was get my partner to hold my fish net over the filters output as I switched it back on. This way the net caught most of the gunk instead of it being spewd out into the tank:)

Boy, its pretty frustrating. nothing like brown sludge getting spit into a sparkly clean tank lol

Great nice looking tank. If I might add a suggestion even though I am a late bloomer if there is any possibility you might consider turning the heavily rooted driftwood upside down. Giving it the appearance of a tree, then place moss or fern on some of the branches lightly and randomly to give it the effect of a tree. I think it would look even better that way. try planting some micro sword or hair grass around it's base to create contrast.

The hill is nice but does create tension in sight and visual. I would suggest using small slabs of slate to create a natural tight eratic formation of steps or abstract retaining wall half way in the middle and back from the front of tank to the left and extract 1/2 of the sand from the left corner and add a thin layer white sand to the mix...I mixed some playsand and white sand together recently for experimentation and LOVED the lighter color it introduced. you might consider it as the playsand is great, but the lighter contrast makes a big visual impact. I bought some whitesand from petsmart in a 5lb bag; it was expensive but worth it. You can also get pool filter sand that is white and will do the job, but need rinsing, rinsing, rinsing.....so does the petsmart stuff, but not as much.

If you want to keep the rooty-driftwood then maybe a unique rock/s underneath it or a nice full set of lengthy anacharis jutting up from the substrate deadcenter below the wood; acting as an asthetic blenber -like vines. I LOVE anacharis when it grow healthy, but in moderation...they seep alot of oxygen and look beautiful when dark vibrant green. I would however plant some microsword around the base of the anacharis to blend a focal point even with the substrate otherwise it is too adrupt.visually.

"Can I also ask why you didn't use and fert substrate below the sand? Like a mix of soil and red clay which plants love. They're poor roots need sustenance!! If you like that opt...just get some miracle-gro organic plant soil (brown bag)and find some red clay(use sparingly and mix ever so slightly. the iron and magnesium in red clay is highly beneficial to plant growth, but will stir up your PH If not used sparingly or in light moderation.) then which you prob. already know. Place it below your surface substrate.

Not sure if your using CO2; this will aid in plant growth as well. I would advise using a DIY system as the manufactured ones; while offering more control, cost alot more and aren't any more effective than the produced ones. Youtube has a few vids for variants...go simple and safe I say. The Pop bottle ones are great and cheap. You'll need a small diffuser, a gang valve and some tubing though along with yeast and sugar.

Goood luck to you and never stop aquacreating and providing our fishy friends and plants with a stable peaceful, healthy environment to reside in.

I really like all the progress you have made! I love that you are always tinkering with the tank and can't wait to see more of it!

Thank you so much!!!

Funny you said "tinkering" hehe as I just finished messing around with my tank :rolleyes:  My camera is really quite horrible, but I'm going to try and get a couple pics. I've been feelin pretty guilty about not updating my journal, in what seems like a year lol.

Hmm.... I didn't get a notice for the post in here, the only way I found it was cruisin around the journal boards....!!!!!????

I seem to be missing a lot of notifications lately too. Thought it was just me.

Nope, I just looked up another one of my usual threads and I didn't recieve any notification for a new post in that one either.... what's goin on here?!?!

Okay, so a much needed rescape has taken place!!!! My fish seem so lazy and never do anything anymore and I was complaining to a friend about how they never swim, and she said, "Well it doesn't look like they have much room to swim!" :blink:   .....sometimes you just don't notice the obvious I guess and after looking a bit harder I realized that the swords that lined the back middle of my tank had grown so much that they are squooshed against the front. 

I've got a pretty lame picture taken with my phone, I will try to get another one tonight with my camera.

tanks looking great greeen mumma
any updates to keep this old thread going :p

I just read this from beginning to end, again.  Love the tank, you help inspired the design I'm going to use in my 65 gallon :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back