New 5Ft Set Up Build

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

choochoo

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi
Last week i Picked up a 5ft tank on ebay with a 4ft sump. Tank measurments are 60" x 18" x 28" think it works out to 450ish litres. Tank comes with a built in weir and currently needs a good clean. The sump side glass is broke but i wil get that another piece of glass for that and sell it on. Im planning on making my own sump out of a 3ft x 12 x 18 tank as it will fit im my unit better.
I started to make the unit yesterday but today im going to put the tank on the stand and fill it with water and give it a good clean and check for any leaks and hope the wooden frame copes with the weight.

Ill upload some pictures later

The tank .When i was cleaning off the black paint off the edges

23042011081.jpg

Built in weir

23042011083.jpg

The cracked sump which needs glass replacing then will be forsale

23042011085.jpg

23042011082.jpg

The tank on the stand with some water in

24042011086.jpg

No leaks in the tank so ill be setting it up in the house thursday

That looks massive

How much water does it hold?

What you planning on putting in there?

Looks like an interesting build. The 28" I take it is the height and not the width?

Yer the 28" is the hight.using a on line volume calculator it works out to 500litres but illed say about 450 litres. I have a 8" silver arowana to go in there and 4 oscars but will only keep 2 when they pair off. i fancy a frontosa aswell and some clown loachs .Im after a bigger tank still tho as illed like a teacup stingray.

Thanks for comments :)

Yer the 28" is the hight.using a on line volume calculator it works out to 500litres but illed say about 450 litres. I have a 8" silver arowana to go in there and 4 oscars but will only keep 2 when they pair off. i fancy a frontosa aswell and some clown loachs .Im after a bigger tank still tho as illed like a teacup stingray.

Thanks for comments :)

Hmm I'd say 5ft is far too small for an Aro, especially a Silver. They can get up to 4ft in the wild, and grow about 2" a month during their first year. You say yours is 8" already, so must be under a year old and still plenty of growing to do. The tank is also nowhere near wide enough for one. You'd be looking at a 10ft long tank ideally, of at least 2.5ft width.

Also the tank isn't wide enough for a fully grown Oscar, you'd want 2ft or 24" ideally. Frontosa and Clowns also get big, but not kept them myself.

Noway is it wide enough for any Ray either, they need at least a 2ft for a small species, pref. 2.5ft+.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news :sad:

Dont worry i was waiting for all that as ive read it all before. this is only a tempary tank .I want a 8x2x2 but there like rocking horse dump so this will do for the time being.
Good job you dont know what size im fish are in now ;)

As long as you have an upgrade coming pretty soon then there shouldn't be a problem :good:

Planning on having a 6x2x2 . but i will finish off this build and have a good set up then start building a stand for a 6x2x2 and buy a tank then put them in to that but i dont like stressing fish out buy swopping tanks. illed like a full malawi tank with the ocean rock as i think there the best looking tanks in my opinion but ill enjoy the fish i have now for the time being . The tank is now in the house and 3/4 full with 2 internal filters in and 2 300w heater and tomorrow if temp and water is good ill bring the fish over and my external filter. might treat my self to a fx5 aswell :good:

Update...
I come across a slight leak on the tank on saturday so had to drain the tank out and look for another tank which i couldnt find so put my fish up for sale. I had a mate come round and look at it ans he said to re seal it. So went out and got some sealent and removed some chipped glass and the old sealent where it was leaking, Resealed the ank and left it for 24 hours.
Refilled the tank last night about 100 ltrs every hour as i was worried but its fixed the problem.Filters are running and thew fish are happly swimming around :nod:
Just need to finish building the cabinet and the hood this week and over the weekend.
Photos coming soon :good:

Hi all
Ent been on for a while as been busy with doing my own business from home doing car repairs. Thought ill post up a picture of how my tank stands at the moment. Not the nicest tank in the world as i hav eno idea what to do with it plus cant have plants as my oscars just rip them up.

would like some of you to give me some ideas on how to decor it

7bbcc6ac.jpg

Thanks Tom

Is that a Frontosa in the same tank? :blink:

On the other hand, your Oscars are awesome!

I would personally have it as a more natural tank, add some bog wood or branches and some better rocks and you will enjoy it more i'm sure.

Consider your stocklist too mate, not ideal keeping old and new world cichlids together as their water requirements are pretty different and it isn't fair to keep them all together.

Just my opinion though mate. :good:

I took that frontosa and alot of the other fish as they wasnt looked after and they was closing down there tank, It only has one eye and previous owner bought it like that. theres alot of fish i need to sell tbh

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back