New 50 gallon stocking ideas

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Meg0000

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Hi, I bought a 50 gallon (4 feet long) used tank today and I would like your ideas for a peaceful community aquarium! I got a really good deal on it, it came with 2 fluval c filter, 1 marina filter, 1 fluval air pump, 2 fluval heater, the light, the stand and the aquarium for only 175$ CAD. That is why I changed my mind about buying a 30 gallon and I really want it to be a peaceful community aquarium so my paradise fish won't be part of it. Also I would like to have Ideas how to aquascape a 50 gallon that is only 12 inch large. For the parameters, I only know that my PH is around 6.8 to 7

Last edited:
We need to know the GH...wasn't this sorted out in another of your threads, or am I confusing with another member? Check the water authority's website for the water data, it might be there.

I have some ideas but like byron said we need the GH first :)

We need to know the GH...wasn't this sorted out in another of your threads, or am I confusing with another member? Check the water authority's website for the water data, it might be there.
I don't know if you are talking about the thread where I wanted ideas for a 30 gallon aquarium with a paradise fish but if yes then this thread is not about the same thing because it is about a 50 gallon without paradise fish community aquarium. I will try to find the GH of my water

I am not sure if this is GH but my water hardness is like 80-110 mg/L

If the GH is in the 80-110 mg/l range, that is very soft to soft water. The hobby uses two units of measure for GH/KH, ppm (parts per million, which is the same as mg/l) and degrees. You can convert back and forth with the number 17.9, dividing ppm by 17.9 to get the equivalent dGH, and multiplying dGH by 17.9 to get the equivalent ppm. So 80 ppm is 4 dGH, and the higher end of 110 ppm is 6 dGH. Which is soft or very soft but this doesn't really matter, it is soft water.

That means you have a huge option for fish, as most all fish from South America and SE Asia are soft water. Avoid all livebearers (these must have much harder water), and some others. You could have gourami as a centerpiece (depending upon species, some are real terrors, others quite peaceful) with groups of rasboras, or dwarf South American cichlids, groups of tetras, pencilfishes, hatchetfishes, cories (with sand substrate), loaches (best with sand). Or you could have more active swimming fish like danios and barbs, with loaches perhaps.

If the GH is in the 80-110 mg/l range, that is very soft to soft water. The hobby uses two units of measure for GH/KH, ppm (parts per million, which is the same as mg/l) and degrees. You can convert back and forth with the number 17.9, dividing ppm by 17.9 to get the equivalent dGH, and multiplying dGH by 17.9 to get the equivalent ppm. So 80 ppm is 4 dGH, and the higher end of 110 ppm is 6 dGH. Which is soft or very soft but this doesn't really matter, it is soft water.

That means you have a huge option for fish, as most all fish from South America and SE Asia are soft water. Avoid all livebearers (these must have much harder water), and some others. You could have gourami as a centerpiece (depending upon species, some are real terrors, others quite peaceful) with groups of rasboras, or dwarf South American cichlids, groups of tetras, pencilfishes, hatchetfishes, cories (with sand substrate), loaches (best with sand). Or you could have more active swimming fish like danios and barbs, with loaches perhaps.
I like the idea of dwarf american cichlids. I don't know much about them, I just know that I like how they look. What dwarf cichlid I could possibly have? I also like angel fish but they seem to be agressive, am I right? Also I am getting corydoras that is not even a question, I just don't know wich :)

I like the idea of dwarf american cichlids. I don't know much about them, I just know that I like how they look. What dwarf cichlid I could possibly have? I also like angel fish but they seem to be agressive, am I right? Also I am getting corydoras that is not even a question, I just don't know wich :)
Yes angelfish can be quite aggressive and when they are big will eat little 1 inch fish.
You should get a shoal of 8-10 cories :) you choose which type you like best. I would also suggest blushing tetras and rummynose tetras

Angelfish could work, in a group of no less than five, up to six or maybe seven. And 15+ Corydoras. However, male/female are likely, which means a pair might well form, and then you can have real problems, having to get rid of the other angelfish or alternatively moving the pair to a suitably-sized tank of their own--but of course, that means the group is now 3-4 and likely more trouble. Like all cichlids, and gourami, males are territorial to varying degrees (aggressiveness).

Dwarf cichlids are best with one species to a tank, and that means a pair for most of them. Apistogramma species are more common. There are also the two rams, the common or blue ram (in any of the varieties) and the Bolivian Ram. The first needs warm water, minimuym 80F (27C) and this can be difficult--cories for example do not like this and a few species might manage but not most. The Bolivian is not so fussy with temperature, and is nice as a solitary cichlid with groups of cories, tetras, etc.

First, get at least 15 corries of the same species( or 2:)
next, I LOVE pearl gouramis, so I recommend a trio or 2 trios of them. Or you could do plain old angelfish lol! And then ad 1-3 schools of 8-20 of rasboras, or tetras, or another type of schooler.

First, get at least 15 corries of the same species( or 2:)
next, I LOVE pearl gouramis, so I recommend a trio or 2 trios of them. Or you could do plain old angelfish lol! And then ad 1-3 schools of 8-20 of rasboras, or tetras, or another type of schooler.
I think this was the best stocking suggestion. Maybe add some shrimp or snails too!

I think this was the best stocking suggestion. Maybe add some shrimp or snails too!
I was going to answer the other post but then I saw this suggestion and I also think it would be a really good Idea!
What I think I would do:
a pair of pearl gourami
5 ottocinclus
10 corydoras
15 neon tetra
1 amano shrimp
1 or 2 nerite snail
Is this stocking alright?

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online