New 40 gallon tank (Community tank)

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

30galBarbs

Reaction score
Hey, so i am trying to create a community tank in my new 40 gallon tank i am up for suggestions and help... So in my 40 gallon tank i am wanting to inhabit it with 2 angel fish, 6 honey Gourami, Neon Tetras 10-15, 5 Cory catfish and a few bristlenose is this going to work is their going to be an issue between any of these fish with the angel fish... Any ideas of other fish i should add.

Water condition can be changed and will be changed to suit inhabitants.

The tank is heavily planted tank with plenty of hiding spots a heater obviously and a powerful filter

Hey, so i am trying to create a community tank in my new 40 gallon tank i am up for suggestions and help... So in my 40 gallon tank i am wanting to inhabit it with 2 angel fish, 6 honey Gourami, Neon Tetras 10-15, 5 Cory catfish and a few bristlenose is this going to work is their going to be an issue between any of these fish with the angel fish... Any ideas of other fish i should add.

Water condition can be changed and will be changed to suit inhabitants.

The tank is heavily planted tank with plenty of hiding spots a heater obviously and a powerful filter
That’s quite a lot of stocking! Doesn’t seem to be too much issues tho, maybe a larger group of corydoras and only 1 BN pleco will work better. You need soft water tho for corys and tetras

Not an expert on Angels but i think members have suggested in the past that Angels and gourami's arent the best tank mates for each other due too their behaviours being much a like.

Angels get pretty big also so gourami might be the better option for your 40

Do you know what your GH/PH is? :)

Cories need a group of 6 or more, I believe you could put in it about 10 cories along with 10 tetras and 1 gourami, but first we need to know your pH, GH and KH as all the fish you mentioned come from soft waters and angel fish get too big for a 40 gallon tank, pair of angelfish would need a 55 gallon tank and they are aggressive fish as they are cichlids.

Not an expert on Angels but i think members have suggested in the past that Angels and gourami's arent the best tank mates for each other due too their behaviours being much a like.

Angels get pretty big also so gourami might be the better option for your 40

Do you know what your GH/PH is? :)
Gouramis have quite an aggressive mating process so can be v stressful for fish and for them if you keep males and females as a heads up :)

I wouldnt personally just do a single honey gourami in a 40g. They do better in a pair or a small group. Be fine with some tetras as long as the OP's Gh etc is right for them :)

I agree with others. Angelfish are too large for this tank, aside from other issues but I won't get into those since the tank will not accommodate them. And gourami and angelfish should not be combined as their "personalities" are very similar and territorial issues occur.

Water conditions technically refers to ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and similar, just so you know. Water parameters refers to GH, KH, pH and temperature, and given that the GH and pH especially will be what you have in the soource (tap) water, we need these values in order to suggest suitable fish. Changing parameters is not as simple as it might sound, so going with what you have is safer, and less work.

I had a mated pair of angelfish in a 55 gallon tank which did fine but I would not put them in a smaller tank. Sorry but I do not think a 30 gallon is big enough. My angelfish grew to be 6 inches and almost 5 inches (body only) and took up a lot of space swimming.

Alright first off i did the math wrong its a 40Gal tank 150L the PH is at 7.0 and my nitrate is like 12 almost maybe a little lower its pretty low... my ammonia is at almost 0 im not sure what the GH is i have never tested that and i do not know how too...
I would really like to put angelfish in this tank, but if it is to small i may have to refrain from that, honey Gourami i heard are pretty peaceful with the angels if they are in a group, but cory`s up to 10 with 10 tetras with the 2 angel fish maybe a singular Gourami (Pearl or something) as on alternative to the honey gourami? and a singular bristle nose.

Gourami and angels just aren’t worth the headache I would just go for the gourami either the pearl or the honey. Personally I would keep other Asian fish with them so switch to rasboras and loaches rather than tertras and cories. Galaxy, rummy nose or harlequin rasboras would look great and something like a dwarf chain loach for the bottom.
Wills

Gourami and angels just aren’t worth the headache I would just go for the gourami either the pearl or the honey. Personally I would keep other Asian fish with them so switch to rasboras and loaches rather than tertras and cories. Galaxy, rummy nose or harlequin rasboras would look great and something like a dwarf chain loach for the bottom.
Wills
Just a singular Gourami?

Is it a 4 foot tank? If so a trio of Pearl Gourami would work in it or a small group of Honey’s.

The consensus that angelfish cannot work in this tank is correct, but no one has yet explained it so I will try. Before that, never combine angelfish and gourami, they are too much alike in temperament, establishing territories, etc.

Angelfish are a shoaling species. They live in groups, not as numerous as other shoaling species like characins (tetras, hatchetfish, pencilfish), Corydoras, and others, but they need the group. They will establish an hierarchy. In suitably large tanks this usually works, though there are no guarantees. But in very large tanks, just as in nature, the subordinate fish can easily "get out of the way" of the dominant fish, and especially when a pair forms. With one exception, you cannot keep this fish in anything under four-feet (120 cm) in length, and even that length will usually become inadequate if a pair should form. In smallish tanks including a 4-foot, the dominant male can easily kill off all rivals, male and female. The exception is if you have a bonded mated pair. This fish must select their mates from the shoal, and bond; any male and any female tossed in together are unlikely to bond, though it can sometimes (rarely) happen. And keeping a single angelfish is something I do not recommend because I do not believe in deliberately keeping a fish contrary to its needs and expectations, this is simply put, inhumane.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back