New 30 Gallon Tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

T-RightFish71196

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi everyone!
I recently acquired a 30 gallon tank and need some help stocking it. I am hoping to fill the tank with mid sized cichlids (4-6 inches or so) I am particularly interested in convicts, jewels and blue acaras so my question is: will these 3 fish work in a tank of my size.....
my exact tank measurements are 100X30X40cm so it's actually a bit larger than the average 30 gallon tank.
If you have any useful advice for keeping cichlids or other cichlid set-ups that would be very helpful
I am not however, interested in keeping dwarfs or rift lake species so please don't bother mentioning them. Cichlid pairs are also not an option because i don't know anyone who will be willing to buy the fry from me.
Thanks again... :)

Simple answer is no those three would just end up being one jewel cichlid. Maybe a Blue Acara and a Rainbow Cichlid.

Wills

A Jewel couldnt stand up to a Male Convict imo, i wouldnt mix them in a 30g

Ah okay, slightly disappointed but oh well...
If i removed the jewel from the equation would the convict and blue acara be okay together or should i just scrap the whole idea
I also quite like the look of firemouths, salvinis and sajicas so if you have any interesting set-up ideas including any of them that would be great
Thanks anyway though for the fast replies

The convict will probably destroy the blue acara. Blue acaras tend to be pretty docile. Honestly, it'll be a case to case thing on who would kill who, the convict or jewel. I've had nothing but bad eggs with both species, and they would not get along in a 30 gallon tank. You'll want to follow wills here, get either 2 medium sized docile species, or another idea is to get 1 aggressive species and some things to put around it which won't get killed. 30 gallons s is not enough territory for two aggressive species.

Firemouths IME do not get along well with others. For one, they're unpredictable in temperament, you either get a docile (rare) or a monster. For two, they tend to use bluff tactics when fighting other fish. They have rather weak jaws made for digging. if you pair them with a stronger jawed specimen like a convict, jewel, or otherwise, and they lip lock, you may end up with a broken jawed firemouth eventually causing a dead firemouth.

Salvinis are also nasty fish, I'd honestly avoid them. I don't know anything about sajicas, though.

If the tank is decorated with rocks, wood and some plants, a blue acara, a sajica and either a rainbow cichlid, or a small school of medium size tetras. Say 6 bleeding hearts or red eye tetras. That's my thoughts. Maybe wills can chime in on my suggestions.

I would go for a pair of one of the species mentioned, Salvinis look amazing when breeding.

Some interesting ideas here. Thanks!
I would truly love to get a pair of breeding cichlids but unfortunately i have no idea what i would do with the fry, no one would buy them from me... :sad:
would two females of the same species work just as well as a pair; obviously i know they wont breed but will they interact and be compatible with eachother.

Thanks again everyone

Also i have had another idea...
Would a single jack dempsey be able to live happily in a 30 galllon all to himself, or not? From what i have read, i have been geting many mixed opinions so i am a bit confused on what to beleive.
Thanks!

There are people on this forum that keeping breeding pairs of jack dempseys in a 55 gallon successfully... If it was me then I wouldn't keep a single JD in anything less than a 55

Substitute your convict idea for a flier, same stripy sort of fish but very placid (small mouth too) :)

Substitute your convict idea for a flier, same stripy sort of fish but very placid (small mouth too) :)

Don't fliers grow to about 8 inches? or am i thinking of something else?
8 inches is a bit too big for a 30 gallon with other fish in it aswell isn't it?
Please tell me if i am wrong.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back