New 28 Gallon Riparian Tank with Custom Backdrop

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Chad

Reef Tank, Crustacean, and Puffer Enthusiast
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
I am putting this under planted because it will have some plants, though not many. It really is going to be more of a paludarium though.

It has been a while since I set up a tank, any tank. Mine have been running smoothly for years. That is until last week when one of my tanks sprung leak. I broke it down, put the contents in my large tank and decided what I needed to replace it was a nano tank with just a few plants.

The tank that leaked was a marine tank. It had a tank for automatic topping off. I decided that would be a great tank to use. I thought that it was a 5.5 gallon tank. I went to the store and got some wood and a couple of plants. I used a tank the store owner brought over for me. When I got home...nothing fit.
20201115_071558.jpg
Well...it was a 2.5 gallon tank, not a 5.5 gallon. I went back and purchased the 5.5 gallon and am now moving forward. As you can see by the image I plan on putting most of the wood outside the tank. There are air plants on it. The water will be pumped up onto it where it will trickle over the wood. Christmas moss will be inside and outside of the water on the wood kept wet by the trickle. I will likely have a few catappa leaves on the bottom as...we'll see how it goes.

Quick side note, I have several succulents growing in pots. The tank will sit between them. I have a grow light on them. That same light will light the tank.

Very cool!! I am really interested in watching this come to fruition! Are you thinking of any animals in the small water volume, or sticking with just plants?

Very cool!! I am really interested in watching this come to fruition! Are you thinking of any animals in the small water volume, or sticking with just plants?
I will have fish. Because of the small size of tank there are obviously only a few that fit the bill. Ember tetra will work, obviously a betta, a single pea puffer would work, pygmy cory would work, maybe (maybe) endlers would work. If not, if I decide none of those, then I will do cherry shrimp.

Looking really cool! Paludariums are getting really popular - have you seen Serpa Designs on YouTube he does really cool stuff

Looking really cool! Paludariums are getting really popular - have you seen Serpa Designs on YouTube he does really cool stuff
Yes, as a matter of fact he is who inspired me to make my first one. It won't be as complex as his but I will enjoy it.

Right now I am watching videos on how to create my own 3D background. I was going to paint it but I can do so much more with a custom background. I am a sculptor so I think I can pull it off. My issue is finding the materials that are safe to use. It seems Styrofoam is the primary base. Some use cement as the cover. This elevates the pH for a time at least.

Yes, I've changed my plan a little on the paludarium project and in so doing made it a whole lot more complicated! I now plan on doing a lot more customization. More videos to come on this one.

Dang, it's been a long time since I started this. It just sat there as COVID and other factors in my life took hold. Recently, made the tough decision to get rid of my 80 gallon reef tank. But I can't be tankless. I also can't settle for only having a 5.5 gallon. I upgraded to a 28 gallon instead and have been working on the back drop.
20230121_135149.jpg

I am using foam as a base and spray pond foam for the structure.
20230131_204756.jpg

There will be plants on the wall and wood outside of the tank that will also have plants. The idea for this is to be a riparian tank.

I got some plants. Both aquatic and terrestrial. I have to wash the roots to get the soil off the terrestrial plants. Some people say let them soak for a few days. I'm not exactly sure if that is necessary, does get all the dirt off. I'm not sure I'm afraid of a little dirt, or even a little fertilizer in a planted tank.

Attachments

• 20230204_143915.jpg
    20230204_143915.jpg
    393.4 KB · Views: 30
  • 20230204_133005.jpg
    20230204_133005.jpg
    375.2 KB · Views: 32
Thanks. I got the plumbing in. I had to get a new pump and a ball valve. I wanted control of the water that flowed out of the wood and back into the tank. You can see where the hose comes out.

Attachments

• 20230204_140250.jpg
    20230204_140250.jpg
    268.2 KB · Views: 30
Thanks. I got the plumbing in. I had to get a new pump and a ball valve. I wanted control of the water that flowed out of the wood and back into the tank. You can see where the hose comes out.
Very creative!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back