Never trust technology, without using common sense!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Tykey

Reaction score
My 50 gallon tank, which is now about 3 months mature, is giving me great pride in its appearance. The community fish are as happy as pigs in muck.
I had bought one of those immersible temperature guages, and I put in a previously used 1000w heater/thermostat. Even if I turned the thermostat up to 27deg, the temperature gauge always indicated around 22.5. Maybe the heater is broke?
I had another 1000w heater/stat in the cupboard, so that went in as well, also set at 27deg.
That'll fix it!! 2000 Watts is enough to boil a kettle, surely.
The temp still stuck at 22.5.!!
This didn't make sense, so when she wasn't looking, I nicked her thermometer which she sticks in the joints of meat.
27 deg!!!!
So never trust technology without turning on the common sense.
I'm usually happy with Superfish equipment, not any more

Last edited:
why are you running a 1000 watt heater in a 50 gallon tank?
a 200 watt heater would be fine for that size tank

Well done for spotting my deliberate mistake, I wondered who would be the first to do that?
They were, of course 100w heaters. Its difficult to read labels underwater.

I’m confused about the Superfish filters. I’m a very new tank owner and still trying to get my tank running safely. It came with a Superfish filter which had a self contained cartridge; I’ve swapped it for an Eheim as I couldn’t work out how you’d be able to maintain the BB if you threw the cartridge away each month..?

They don't care about your BB, they want your money.
I concur. Filter companies tell you to change your filter cartridges at least every month, because they are “dirty”. In reality, you should only need to change them out when they are falling apart and can no longer be used.

Filter companies must hate TFF! ;)

From my experience you can overshoot with filters but don't overshoot with heaters. I've never heard of an overfiltered aquarium but an overheated one is easy to achieve with a powerful piece of equipment.

One of the 100w ones is already out. I think I've got something like a 50w one somewhere, which might get a go on its own. We shall see??

A 1000w heater in a 50 gallon? Does the light just blink when it heats that tank??

Filter media can be reused, depending on the media. A typical activated charcoal element should be changed. In part to it soakin up the bad stuff, but mostly because the activated charcoal will.eventually completely.dissolve into your water, which could potentially cause unforseen, mysterious problems.

I have moved away from store bought filter elements to simple activated charcoal impregnated foam rubber DIY filters. Then I just rinse that thing once in a while. $6 for a 2 foot by 3 foot chunk I can cut up for the next decade for filters is much better than $20 or more for pre-made elements that are used for a month maybe.

I’m confused about the Superfish filters. I’m a very new tank owner and still trying to get my tank running safely. It came with a Superfish filter which had a self contained cartridge; I’ve swapped it for an Eheim as I couldn’t work out how you’d be able to maintain the BB if you threw the cartridge away each month..?

Be patient. A solid BB at the beginning of your tanks life cycle makes a lot of difference in the short and long terms.

Last edited:
From my experience you can overshoot with filters but don't overshoot with heaters. I've never heard of an overfiltered aquarium but an overheated one is easy to achieve with a powerful piece of equipment.

Indeed it is, that's why it's best to have an external thermostat and a heating tube that you trust and can easily monitor. The last thing I want is a tank full of par-boiled pets! :no:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back