Never Get Too Cocky

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Sorrell

If you're a bird, I'm a bird
Reaction score
:blush: Last night I was doing water changes on the bettas and I had an accident right as I was inflating my head... I was doing them out of my bathtub, putting the fish in a cup, rinsing their tank, treating and filling, and then carrying them back. I had this little guy back in his tank and I was walking back to the shelves to put him away. While doing so, in my head I was on the water change pedastal :rolleyes: "I've done so many water changes, I could do them in my sleep" "No one has quite the natural talent for this as I" etc etc :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :look: Sooooo, right as I am setting him on the shelf, some unseen force slams into the tank and I just straight dump it on the floor! "Oh %$#%&!!" A little bit of water left so I grab the fish from the ground, drop him in the tank, and run back to the bathroom. Guess what? No fish in the tank, so I'm on my hands and knees searching for the little man, find him, really get him in the tank and fill it back up. :S

He's totally fine, you couldn't even tell which one went through the ordeal if you didn't know. It was just so weird...I've dropped probably hundreds of fish before, but generally just out of my hand or out of the cup. This was just weird because of the intensity of the spill. Like I said I literally tipped the tank and poured him out, no tripping, nothing slipped, just boom-gone.

Anyway....moral of the lengthy story, apparently the water change gods frown on pride and boastfulness, so stay humble or they'll knock your precious fishies from your hands :p

Good to hear he was ok Sorrell :rolleyes:

Have not managed to drop one yet so I guess my time will come :crazy:

I'm anti-net, do everything with my hands, so dropping is a hazard that comes with the territory...slippery lil suckers :blink:

:D I move mine about in a glass jam jar and the little beggars cant see you creeping up on them and usually swim straight in the jar. :lol: :lol:

I'm anti-net, do everything with my hands, so dropping is a hazard that comes with the territory...slippery lil suckers :blink:

I used to always scoop my boy out with my hand utnil I read that doing that damages the slime coat. He was always getting some kind of fungus, so I stopped using the hands, and use a net. The fungus also stopped.

I used to always scoop my boy out with my hand utnil I read that doing that damages the slime coat. He was always getting some kind of fungus, so I stopped using the hands, and use a net. The fungus also stopped.

You're right about the slime coat being damaged by hands, that's why it's not recommended to pet or handle your fish extensively. In my personal experience however, I have done more damage with nets then I ever have with my hands. They are in contact with my skin for a split second and my fish have so much colloidal silver in their lives they're fine.

You're right about the slime coat being damaged by hands, that's why it's not recommended to pet or handle your fish extensively. In my personal experience however, I have done more damage with nets then I ever have with my hands. They are in contact with my skin for a split second and my fish have so much colloidal silver in their lives they're fine.

what's colloidal silver?????? how do they get that, is it good? :hey:

It's really hard to overdose fish, I've poured it straight on them before :look: If your fish are used to being fed with a dropper, you can give it orally too. Just for general maintanance, I would give a teaspoon or so for your 20. :good:

It's really hard to overdose fish, I've poured it straight on them before :look: If your fish are used to being fed with a dropper, you can give it orally too. Just for general maintanance, I would give a teaspoon or so for your 20. :good:

a teaspoon how often? weekly? monthly?

Sorry! I guess that would have been useful information, lol. I would do a teaspoon with every water change. :)

Sorry! I guess that would have been useful information, lol. I would do a teaspoon with every water change. :)

:fun: Yup! Thanks for the info! So you use this also in place of the usual treatments for illnesses? I had a betta for 3 years--just lost him--I was crushed--I tried one antibiotic after another. He'd be ok, until I a few days after he'd finish the medicine. Either age, or his immune system just couldn't handle it, and he died--you always feel like you could have done more. :sick:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back