Never Did Post An Intro...

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Silencedogood

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Yeah you all know me by now...I never did post an intro so pretend this is from 9 months ago;)

My TFF name is Silencedogood and my current whereabouts are :dunno:. In any case, I have been keeping fish for 8+ years but have only really gotten into it for the past two years.

I have appreciated everyone's help on here and my fish tanks have definitely benefited since I joined TFF.

Next Question: How do you prevent MTS?

Haha yes that is the main thing that is keeping me from getting a third tank (Besides the $$).

You may need to see a fish psychologist to help ease your obsessive compulsive MTS disorder.

Or instead of more fish, maybe buying bird cages and some talking birds will take your mind off of the need for more tanks. But then you will just end up with MCD ( Multiple Cage Disorder) which can be just as crippling as MTS. But the side benefit of being afflicted with MCD would be you would have a pet to enter in out Pet of the Month Contest.

See the link for more help:
https://www.offthemark.com/cartoon/medical-health/psychology/2018-07-02

Last edited:
If you have the first signs of MTS, you need to watch this video.

Well, I only have two tanks; a main and a QT. I plan to keep it that way.:)

That was a great video. That guy knows whereof he speaks. Did I hear him right at the beginning ? Did he say he felt sorry for people with only one tank ? The thing he said about the electric bill was not entirely true however. Most fish stuff is very low wattage. Turn the clothes dryer off. Use a clothesline. Throw away that 2000 watt microwave oven. In other words, get your priorities straight. Cater to yourself and your fish.

If you have 20 29 gallon tanks and each tank has a 200 watt heater that runs 1/6 of the time , that is equal to 16 kilowatts of electricity a day . At 20 cents a kilowatt, (cost here is 25 cents) that would be $3.25 per day. Over a year, that would be $1,886.00.. Then add in the cost of running the filters, air pumps and lights and it would be even higher. Then of course add the cost of water for doing 50% water changes in those 20 tanks and costs do really add up. Plus you have the costs of the tanks, plants, substrates, fish, decorations, meds, etc and keeping fish becomes very expensive.

Last edited:
If you have 20 29 gallon tanks and each tank has a 200 watt hearer that runs 1/6 of the time , that is equal to 16 kilowatts of electricity a day . At 20 cents a kilowatt, (cost her is 25 cents) that would be $3.25 per day. Over a year, that would be $1,886.00.. Then add in the cost of running the filters, air pumps and lights and it would be even higher. Then of course add the cost of water for doing 50% water changes in those 20 tanks and cost do really add up. Plus you have the costs of the tanks, plants, substrates, fish, decorations, meds, etc and keeping fish becomes very expensive.
Hate to burst your bubble but I just now got off the phone with Donald Trump and he says that's fake news.

If you have 20 29 gallon tanks and each tank has a 200 watt heater that runs 1/6 of the time , that is equal to 16 kilowatts of electricity a day . At 20 cents a kilowatt, (cost here is 25 cents) that would be $3.25 per day. Over a year, that would be $1,886.00.. Then add in the cost of running the filters, air pumps and lights and it would be even higher. Then of course add the cost of water for doing 50% water changes in those 20 tanks and costs do really add up. Plus you have the costs of the tanks, plants, substrates, fish, decorations, meds, etc and keeping fish becomes very expensive.
I noticed my quarterly water bill went up 1/6 when I got 2 small tanks. I now have a medium sized tank as well so I imagine it will go up again :(but hopefully not so much now the cycling is behind me. I dare not even think about how much the tanks, decs, meds etc add up to!
I had an interesting discussion with my partner yesterday about why it was necessary to buy dead leaves from India!
Anything for the fish :wub:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back