Netrites died reasoning???

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Beau87

Reaction score
Hi all a quick run down of what happend lately.
Ive had my Nerite snails for about 4months, they live with a single Betta in a 30litre tank everything was fine they were moving around eating all the algae until recently.50% of water is changed every 10 days an all water parameters seem decent PH 7.4 ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrate 0 GH 5 KH 4.
The tank used to have quite a bit of algae hence why I got Nerite snails as didn't want to have any other fish with my Betta an figured snails would be fine with him.
I recently emptied the tank completely as wanted to change all the gravel an setup.
The old gravel was white and I replaced it with fine black gravel i washed it twice before I put it into the tank, the algae was cleaned off the glass completely it was spotless. I filled the tank up an the let it run for a few hours to get some of the remaining dust sucked up into filter. I put my Betta an Nerite snails back into the tank and after 5 days of having the new setup I found both my Nerites dead turned upside down an brown on the inside, yesterday they were moving around,an both died today strangely. Water parameters are the same except the GH 03 an KH 02 has dropped from the previous setup of GH 05 KH 04.
Would lack of algae be the cause of there deaths or the dust on the glass? Thoughts on how they died?

Did you maybe forget to use water conditioner?....what is your source water, and is it treated?

Just FYI, nerites cannot "right" themselves like other snails if they are upside-down on the substrate, you have to do it for them...if they are upside down for very long, they will die

Something on the new gravel? Nerites are very susceptible to being poisoned.

Both snails were upright moving around yesterday, I used API Stress Coat and API quickstart, water is from the tap, I treated it an cycled it for a few hours before putting them in. Both were upside down this morning an dead never seen that happen in the 4 months I've had them.
Strangely I've also noticed my Betta with a little loss of appetite lately see the blood worms lying on the gravel normally there all eaten up, he does eat but not much.

A tank won't be cycled in a few hours.
Ammonia poisoning....

API test kit. Washed the gravel with tap water an no chemicals, wasn't concerned about the clorine as I was treating that with stress coat when I added the water.

Do you have a link to the gravel?
You mentioned the new gravel is black and sometimes coloured gravel (including black) has been coated to get the colour. If there is a coating, the nerites could have rasped it off and eaten it.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back