Net for wild collection

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

threecharacters

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I'm moderately interested in collecting local fish (Colorado). What type of net would y'all recommend? It seems like the main options are a casting net, fishing nets with long poles, or some kind of folding net (seems to be favored by Heiko Bleher).

When I did work for fisheries we used the same nets you would use for goldfish in a pond. Some of the nets had a d-profile to use at the bottom of sandy substrate or cement pen, or a round profile for other applications, mostly with an approximately 1' square opening and extendable handles. Really depends on the fish you are targeting.

That said in many areas collecting wild animals is illegal without appropriate permits. Where I live you are not legally allowed to keep, transport, or collect any wild animal and depending on the animal could lead to significant fines.

I like minnow traps like this one. They don't last long, but they catch a lot of fish of the right size, and they're soft so gentle on the fish. Uberhoust is right--check with your local game agency. I just took a quick look at the Colorado regs (see pg. 6) and it looks like you can get a bait trapping permit that will allow you to capture and keep "minnows, bluegill, hybrid bluegill, carp, sunfish, gizzard shad, sculpin, white and longnose suckers, yellow perch and rainbow smelt."

I'd advise giving your local fisheries biologist a call, tell him or her what you have in mind, and make sure you understand where trapping is legal. Looks like CO has a LOT of regs about where you can and can't catch bait.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
There are rules on what devices you can use. Colorado is a world away, but I would not be able to use a net where I am, and you may be in the same boat.

I'm moderately interested in collecting local fish (Colorado). What type of net would y'all recommend? It seems like the main options are a casting net, fishing nets with long poles, or some kind of folding net (seems to be favored by Heiko Bleher).
Hello. You could get minnows from the local rivers, lakes and ponds. I'm in northern Colorado and due to all the rains we've had, gathering the fish would be difficult. All the water sources are at their highest levels in as long as I can recall. Trying to duplicate the water conditions will be a challenge. I've tried to use river plants and they just won't grow long term. I'm guessing the fish will be the same.

Good luck,

10 Tanks (Now 11)

I should've been clearer. I have no intention of keeping the fish I catch. I'm more interested in seeing what's around kind of like herping. I don't really have a good place to keep any of them anyway. I'll look at the local regulations for catch and release.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back