Nerite snails had babies in freshwater

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

Lgoldman

Reaction score
Hi! I have a 20 gallon tank with mollies, platys, a albino bristle nose pleco, and two nerite snails. Today I came home to both fish fry (Iā€™m not sure if they are mollies or platys, and I am not removing them because I do not care if they survive), and at least one baby snail. Iā€™m not surprised by the fry, but Iā€™m confused about how the snails had babies. I thought Nerite snails couldnā€™t reproduce in freshwater. The only salt that has ever gone in the tank is aquarium salt, and not a large amount of it. Is this just super rare and a one time thing or could I end up with a lot of snails?

Hi! I have a 20 gallon tank with mollies, platys, a albino bristle nose pleco, and two nerite snails. Today I came home to both fish fry (Iā€™m not sure if they are mollies or platys, and I am not removing them because I do not care if they survive), and at least one baby snail. Iā€™m not surprised by the fry, but Iā€™m confused about how the snails had babies. I thought Nerite snails couldnā€™t reproduce in freshwater. The only salt that has ever gone in the tank is aquarium salt, and not a large amount of it. Is this just super rare and a one time thing or could I end up with a lot of snails?
super rare, nerite larvae are sooo hard to raise, you should be very proud!!!! pictures? it might just be a pest snail.../

super rare, nerite larvae are sooo hard to raise, you should be very proud!!!! pictures? it might just be a pest snail.../
I canā€™t get a picture right now because I cant find it, but it looked similar to pics I saw online. Is it even possible for a pest snail to get into the tank? I donā€™t have any snails besides the nerites.

I canā€™t get a picture right now because I cant find it, but it looked similar to pics I saw online. Is it even possible for a pest snail to get into the tank? I donā€™t have any snails besides the nerites.
no, some live plants or stuff have baby nerites or pest snails. i got my nerite from a plant, she was hanging from a plant as a baby

no, some live plants or stuff have baby nerites or pest snails. i got my nerite from a plant, she was hanging from a plant as a baby
Oh, that makes sense. I havenā€™t gotten any new plants recently though. Itā€™s fine as long as itā€˜s a one time thing. Thanks!

One ramshorn/pond/trumpet snail can aquickly turn unto a whole colony. It is almost impossible for nerites to breed in the home aquarium. The eggs you see them lay are actually about a hundred of tiny ones in a single sac. Nerites are not fully formed at birth, but actually have a larval stage, with no shell. If you did manage to get one of the larvae successfully to adulthood, congratulations. I hope it grows big and strong! Maybe you can find a way to keep them coming. Do you feed the tank anything in particular?

One ramshorn/pond/trumpet snail can aquickly turn unto a whole colony. It is almost impossible for nerites to breed in the home aquarium. The eggs you see them lay are actually about a hundred of tiny ones in a single sac. Nerites are not fully formed at birth, but actually have a larval stage, with no shell. If you did manage to get one of the larvae successfully to adulthood, congratulations. I hope it grows big and strong! Maybe you can find a way to keep them coming. Do you feed the tank anything in particular?
The baby snail I saw had a shell. I never noticed any larvae but I could have missed it as I wasnā€™t looking and I have a ton of Java moss. I donā€™t feed the tank anything special. Just tropical flakes, frozen brine shrimp, algae wafers, and some vegetables for the pleco.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back