Nerite Snails - Feeding & Calcium Requirements?

FoxChase

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I bought 7 lovely Nerite snails 2 wks ago. I was truly amazed at how fast and how much these guys eat! They had cleaned all the algae off the glass overnight and haven't slowed down. I'm concerned I bought too many.
So I purchased snail food and they seem to like it, all except one of the four different kinds of pellets. They left it and it's breaking down and settling into the substrate. 😒

Can I put the food in a shrimp feeding dish (see pic), would snails use it?

I bought 3 Red Racers, 2 Zebra and 2 Tiger.
One of the Red Racers had a small white spot on his shell at the inner most part of the coil.
Now another has a spot there too.
Is this a sign of Calcium deficiency?
I attached photos listing the ingredients/nutrient breakdown of the snail food.
Does it has adequate calcium?
My water is not calcium rich.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220407-122410_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20220407-122410_eBay.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 65
  • 20220407_111232.jpg
    20220407_111232.jpg
    365.1 KB · Views: 59
  • 20220407_112614.jpg
    20220407_112614.jpg
    359 KB · Views: 61
  • 20220407_112935.jpg
    20220407_112935.jpg
    392.7 KB · Views: 54
Can't advice about any of that but you can always grow algae covered stones in water in the sunlight with bit of fertilizer. The neritina appreciates natural algae the best

Last edited:
Can't advice about any of that but you can always grow algae covered stones in water in the sunlight with bit of fertilizer. The neritina appreciates natural algae the best
Great idea! Thank you for the suggestion 😀

One of the Red Racers had a small white spot on his shell at the inner most part of the coil.
Now another has a spot there too.
Is this a sign of Calcium deficiency?
The white spot is a indication that acid is etching may the shell. It not correct the may eventually etch away. This occurs when the PH is less than 7 and can occur if the PH only slitghtly (0.1) less than 7.

The solution to the issue is to put a old sea shell, crushed corral, or limestone in the filter. these will dissolve and react with any acids in the water and neutralize them. When the acids are gone the sea shells corral or limestone will stop dissolving.This may push uproar water hardness slightly and work to keep you r PH near 7.

I bought 7 lovely Nerite snails 2 wks ago. I was truly amazed at how fast and how much these guys eat! They had cleaned all the algae off the glass overnight and haven't slowed down. I'm concerned I bought too many.
Generally you want about 2 neuritis for eery 10 gallons.
Snails and shrimp will eat anything sitting on the substrate. you don't need a food tray. Also any dead plant or algae wil have calcium in it. They like cucumber and dry seaweed. Generally any soft vegetable will work.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back