Nerite Snail - yes or no?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

JPW003

Reaction score
Hi all

I'm considering getting 1 or 2 Nerite Snails for my 54l neon tetra exclusive tank. My water is very soft (dh = 4.6) and my pH is 6.7. Fully cycled, - 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrite ,5 Nitrate.

I know I can add a piece of Cuttlebone and the calcium issues with their shells, but do you think it's fair on them in my water or will they be okay with a piece of Cuttlebone in there?

Going to invest in some Amano shrimp at some point too, but that's the end of the road re stocking I think.

What do you think?

Thanks,

J

I have nerite snails and they do a good job cleaning and leave my plants alone. They should be alright with cuttlebone, a few sea shells may help

Beware of the eggs. I have two nerites. They really do help with the algae and they won't reproduce but they still lay eggs. They're rock solid and require some serious scraping. They won't hatch but can look unsightly. I have some on driftwood and ornaments and cant get them off

Rabbit snails are very interesting and colourful as well :)

I have a 55 gallon tetra tank with neon, ember, glow light and 1 red eyed tetra. I like the smaller schooling fish.

Last edited:
I have 1 Nerite snail in my 29g tank. I love her. She is super good when it comes to cleaning but just big enough to be noticed. I do have to warn you about eggs. If you get a female, expect eggs everywhere. My Nerite play eggs particularly on driftwood (the most) and the bottom of my filter.

I have nerites and my hardness is 5 dH, though my pH is 7.4. Yes, their shells do erode slightly, especially the point, but I have some snails that are several years old and they still move round the tank even though their shells are showing their age.
With your pH being under 7, you are likely to see more shell erosion than me and cuttlebone will help.

Most reactions

Back