Nerite snail shell deteriorating

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Wreckzone

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have a planted 6 gallon fluval edge with 3 inhabitants - 1 neon, 1 ghost shrimp, and 1 zebra snail. I have been neglecting my nerite snail's shell for as long as I've had her (about 5 years) and it's to the point that I think her shell may break in half. Please look at the attached picture.

What can I do to help her regenerate her shell so that it doesn't harm the neon and shrimp?

Thanks!

Allan

Attachments

• IMG_1972.JPG
    IMG_1972.JPG
    722.9 KB · Views: 1,002
  • IMG_1976.JPG
    IMG_1976.JPG
    176.6 KB · Views: 1,013
  • IMG_1973.JPG
    IMG_1973.JPG
    386.8 KB · Views: 1,032
1 neon? do you mean neon tetra? tetras are schooling fish... you need at least 5 or 6 of them. As for the snail I don't have any experience with that, someone else with experience should help here soon

It looks like shell erosion due to soft water, I have no idea how to fix that,

Shell erosion is typically caused by acidic water. Soft water typically has low alkalinity and as a result the PH can change significantly with small chemistry changes. The shell will not erode in water with a PH of 7 or higher. Shell erosion is permanent. The shell will not regenerate on its own.

I would first test your tap water and aquarium water for PH, general harness (GH), and Alkalinity(KH). Most PH test kits measure PH from about 6 to 8. If the kit is at the minimum PH the PH might in fact be a lot lower and very acidic. Acidic water is often caused by CO2 dissolved in the water.

If the tap water is acidic from the tap put it in a bucket and allow it to outgas before putting it in the tank. It will probably take a couple of days for the water to outgas. In some cases the pH my rise when it has outgases.

If after outgassing check the water KH and PH if the PH is between 6.5 and 8 you can add it to the tank.

1 neon? do you mean neon tetra? tetras are schooling fish... you need at least 5 or 6 of them. As for the snail I don't have any experience with that, someone else with experience should help here soon

Thanks for your reply. I understand they are a schooling fish however I have learned that these beautiful animals need to be out in the ocean and not confined in a tank,. The remaining neon tetra taught me that, as he bullied the other 5 neons I used to have in the tank and I believe the other fish did not enjoy living in the tank. He was such a bully and all he did was chase the other fish all day long. I don't agree with this industry anymore and I truly believe these fish belong in the wild, not in our tanks for our amusement.

Shell erosion is typically caused by acidic water. Soft water typically has low alkalinity and as a result the PH can change significantly with small chemistry changes. The shell will not erode in water with a PH of 7 or higher. Shell erosion is permanent. The shell will not regenerate on its own.

I would first test your tap water and aquarium water for PH, general harness (GH), and Alkalinity(KH). Most PH test kits measure PH from about 6 to 8. If the kit is at the minimum PH the PH might in fact be a lot lower and very acidic. Acidic water is often caused by CO2 dissolved in the water.

If the tap water is acidic from the tap put it in a bucket and allow it to outgas before putting it in the tank. It will probably take a couple of days for the water to outgas. In some cases the pH my rise when it has outgases.

If after outgassing check the water KH and PH if the PH is between 6.5 and 8 you can add it to the tank.

Thanks for your reply. I did do a test and my PH is actually between 6-7. My GH and KH I believe are very low, almost non existent. I also have a CO2 tank pumping CO2 into the tank during light hours (6.5 hours). I also put water into a bucket for a week before adding it to the tank however I do top it up with water straight from the tap. I will stop doing this.

Is there an optimum level of GH and KH that is good for the snail, neon tetra, and ghost shrimp?

If the shell breaks, or falls off, will my snail survive without a shell? I regret not dealing with this sooner...

Thanks for your reply. I understand they are a schooling fish however I have learned that these beautiful animals need to be out in the ocean and not confined in a tank,. The remaining neon tetra taught me that, as he bullied the other 5 neons I used to have in the tank and I believe the other fish did not enjoy living in the tank. He was such a bully and all he did was chase the other fish all day long. I don't agree with this industry anymore and I truly believe these fish belong in the wild, not in our tanks for our amusement.
Fish nip each other, its nature, nature isn't always pretty. also if you still have this one what happened to the others and why haven't you either gotten this one, more. or why haven't you given him away? tetras will kill themselves without having others in the tank or near them. also they don't live in the ocean....

Fish nip each other, its nature, nature isn't always pretty. also if you still have this one what happened to the others and why haven't you either gotten this one, more. or why haven't you given him away? tetras will kill themselves without having others in the tank or near them. also they don't live in the ocean....

Yes, it's nature as the one is claiming its territory, however, the other neon tetras did not have many places to escape to and saw them slamming into the glass, or find a spot in the tank only to be found by the bully again and be chased. The others got stressed out or sick and some died of old age. The tank is too small for fish and I'm sure they would be happier in the wild (ocean, lakes, streams, etc). That's the reason why I did not get more for this one neon tetra - I do not want to support the fish industry anymore.

FISH DO NOT BELONG IN TANKS!

That's a bit of a blanket statement...

There is nothing wrong with keeping fish in tanks if the fishkeeper ensures that the tank, and any tankmates, are appropriate for the fish's needs and allows them to express their natural behaviours. A Fluval Edge is big enough for fish, if the inhabitants are chosen carefully (I have one myself, home to a single dwarf puffer).

It is unfair to keep a shoaling fish on its own. If you don't want to support the industry, then that's fine and a choice only you can make for yourself, but do, please, rehome the neon to someone who has a shoal for it to join.

if your against having fish and aquariums, then why do you own one? no need to answer if you don't feel like it but seriously just wondering... fish aren't only happy (although we can never 100% tell..) in the wild, especially the ones that aren't from the wild. most fish are breed in captivity then sold, such as guppys which are a very common fish for people to buy due to there colorful appearance. The fishes happiness depends on the quality of the tank and the amount of care the owner gives. your tank needs to match all the inhabitants ph levels and gh/kh levels which you didn't do (with your nerite snail in soft acidic water.) as a responsible pet owner should (research before buying a pet). Fish are as much of a pet as a dog would be, they require food, stable and comfortable living quarters, a good owner, and a happy life.
As for your one neon tetra, if your so prone to having fish tanks due to them being unhappy then why are you keeping one shoaling fish, its making it unhappy obviously, and your not giving quality care if you keep losing the school of fish... you should, as a responsible pet owner, give him away to another experienced fish keeper.

That's a bit of a blanket statement...

There is nothing wrong with keeping fish in tanks if the fishkeeper ensures that the tank, and any tankmates, are appropriate for the fish's needs and allows them to express their natural behaviours. A Fluval Edge is big enough for fish, if the inhabitants are chosen carefully (I have one myself, home to a single dwarf puffer).

It is unfair to keep a shoaling fish on its own. If you don't want to support the industry, then that's fine and a choice only you can make for yourself, but do, please, rehome the neon to someone who has a shoal for it to join.

I think my statement was fair. I know many people with fish tanks (ages range from 6 years old to 40+ years old) and all of them have told me stories of sick fish, missed water changes, neglected feeding, etc. etc. I know it's a small sample size but I have also browsed through many forums and seen thousands of people asking for advice regarding fish care and tank set up. Why? We are seeking advice to create a man-made environment for fish to live in and almost all of us don't really know how to properly care for fish. How many fish must suffer being born into a cruel industry, having to travel in small containers for weeks, just to end up in some person's home for said person's entertainment? Is it fair for fish to be treated this way? Extend this to snails, shrimp, frogs, etc.

No tank is big enough for fish. Who are we to say how fish really feel like? We really don't know! I do agree however that this fish needs a school to shoal with. I will look into finding a new home for my last pet fish but I will need to do research first.

Thanks for your reply. I did do a test and my PH is actually between 6-7. My GH and KH I believe are very low, almost non existent. I also have a CO2 tank pumping CO2 into the tank during light hours (6.5 hours). I also put water into a bucket for a week before adding it to the tank however I do top it up with water straight from the tap. I will stop doing this.

Is there an optimum level of GH and KH that is good for the snail, neon tetra, and ghost shrimp?

If the shell breaks, or falls off, will my snail survive without a shell? I regret not dealing with this sooner...
no your snail wont survive, only slugs can live without a shell as they don't have one. Snails have shells, most people don't know, I don't know why they don't but, shells are the main part of the snails body, its the body of the snail its not just a "shell" its literally attached to the snail, so its like your snails back is falling off..

I think my statement was fair. I know many people with fish tanks (ages range from 6 years old to 40+ years old) and all of them have told me stories of sick fish, missed water changes, neglected feeding, etc. etc. I know it's a small sample size but I have also browsed through many forums and seen thousands of people asking for advice regarding fish care and tank set up. Why? We are seeking advice to create a man-made environment for fish to live in and almost all of us don't really know how to properly care for fish. How many fish must suffer being born into a cruel industry, having to travel in small containers for weeks, just to end up in some person's home for said person's entertainment? Is it fair for fish to be treated this way? Extend this to snails, shrimp, frogs, etc.

No tank is big enough for fish. Who are we to say how fish really feel like? We really don't know! I do agree however that this fish needs a school to shoal with. I will look into finding a new home for my last pet fish but I will need to do research first.
you shouldn't need help then with your problem, anymore that is, I found your solution
step 1: admit to yourself over a period of 1 month that you have given up this hobby
step 2: blame the "industry"
step 3: mourn for the fish that are born "in the industry" even though you know well you cant do anything about it.
step 4: give all your tank supplies and fish away to someone who actually is happy to take care of fish and aquatic life, and gives there all to try to make the best environment possible for these kind little creatures!
Also I can tell you right now everyone on this forum has at least 1+ years experience with fish and has done some fine research on everything they have and will have. And most try there best to put there beautiful well taken care of fish in as natural of an environment as possible or what they think is best for the fish.
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/12-tank-journals/
dedicated fish keepers all around
Also your "no tank is big enough for a fish" is just as equal as saying "no world is big enough for 1 person"

if your against having fish and aquariums, then why do you own one? no need to answer if you don't feel like it but seriously just wondering... fish aren't only happy (although we can never 100% tell..) in the wild, especially the ones that aren't from the wild. most fish are breed in captivity then sold, such as guppys which are a very common fish for people to buy due to there colorful appearance. The fishes happiness depends on the quality of the tank and the amount of care the owner gives. your tank needs to match all the inhabitants ph levels and gh/kh levels which you didn't do (with your nerite snail in soft acidic water.) as a responsible pet owner should (research before buying a pet). Fish are as much of a pet as a dog would be, they require food, stable and comfortable living quarters, a good owner, and a happy life.
As for your one neon tetra, if your so prone to having fish tanks due to them being unhappy then why are you keeping one shoaling fish, its making it unhappy obviously, and your not giving quality care if you keep losing the school of fish... you should, as a responsible pet owner, give him away to another experienced fish keeper.

I obviously didn't have the same thoughts and feelings when I decided to own fish. Everything changed when I went through the growing pains of owning fish. I loved each and every one of the fish I've owned and took care of them like they were my own children.

Things changed when I went through so much pain and heartache when any of them got sick and died. What really opened my eyes was reading inexperienced people go through the same thing. How many billions of fish go through this? To me it just didn't seem right. I also read so many horror stories of the fish industry - this really upset me and I promised to never support such a money-driven, careless industry. Do some research and see for yourself.

This one neon tetra has been alone for almost 2 years now so I'm stuck - is it used to being alone? Do I take the chances of moving it to someplace else and cause it stress in the process? Will the new owner truly know how to take care of it? Sigh.....I wish I never got started with this hobby but I am very grateful for my pet fishes as they have taught me a lot about this precious thing called life.

honestly your starting to legit creep me out slightly, yes I've seen how they farm fish its not new to any experienced fish keeper... maybe you realize that now as you've pretty much called us all stupid. if your tetra has been alone for 2 years you should be ashamed of yourself, for being "one of those un experienced irresponsible fish keepers." that's the equivalent of keeping 1 person by himself for 2 years with no contact to anyone. despicable...

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back