FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

FishFinatic77

Fish Herder
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
Hi everyone!
So, a month ago, I got a nerite snail to help control the algae in my betta tank. I tested my water before I got him and everything was fine. The first two days after I got him, he was very active and was clearly eating algae. After that, he just started sitting on the ground, only moving a little bit every few day. I re-tested the water and all my levels are fine.
I know he is definitely still alive, but he almost never moves. I did notice that he ate a patch of algae that was growing in front of him, but that was over a week ago now, and I don't think he has eaten anything since then.
I did a water change two days ago and checked to make sure he was still alive, and he is definitely ok.
The thing is, though I don't have much experience with snails, I know he should be moving more. The only reason I can think of as to why he isn't moving, is that he's scared of my betta. I have never seen my betta actually touch him though, so I think the problem is something else.
Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks!

I have several netite snails, I noticed that some times they are very active and other times they just sit there for a couple of days. I figure they may be digesting their food.

Thank you for your quick reply! I know that they often rest for a few days, but he has been "resting" for a month, so I don't think that's what's going on.

If he has not moved for a month I am sorry to say he may be dead :( You cold try and roll him over and see if he moves. It may take awhile.

The easy way to tell if a snail is dead is to lift it out of the tank and sniff it - cautiously. Dead snails smell appalling and it lingers in the nose for hours. Don't take a big sniff :sick:

Thank you for your replies. I have done the sniff test and he just smells like aquarium water. Also, every time I pick him up, his trap door is closed. I have also seen him holding onto the substrate, so I know that he is definitely still alive. Could there be any reason for him to just stay in the same spot for so long?

Then he is definitely alive. My Nerite will so times just sit and do nothing.

How big is your tank and what do you feed him?

The tank is 5 gallons. He is supposed to eat the algae, but so far he hasn't done much eating. Could he be scared to move because of my betta? I feel like that's a dumb suggestion, but that's the only thing I can think of.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back