Nerite snail fungus?? Help!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Kelly Preussner

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
So I admit I don’t know much about snails. I have had a freshwater tank for about 2 years now & nerite snails were recommended. I got them & they have been fantastic! A few have died & been replaced but besides that great!
I noticed some white spots on 1 of the snails & wondering what they are as I have never seen them before. I have enclosed a picture.

I am hoping they are not baby pest snails & if they are, what do I do? The reason I say this is because about a month ago I got a new plant & found some pest snails. I actually got rid of the plant & any snails I saw. So this is my first thought unless some weird fungus.

As a side note, I got a new piece of driftwood & the snails LOVE it & always on it. I assume this is ok? They do still go up & down on the glass but always at least 1 or 2 on driftwood.

Thanks!

Attachments

• FE6B51A4-10FA-4156-BF67-A29682946FB9.jpeg
    FE6B51A4-10FA-4156-BF67-A29682946FB9.jpeg
    245.5 KB · Views: 65
  • B33279C5-B333-4F74-8383-03FF545825BC.jpeg
    B33279C5-B333-4F74-8383-03FF545825BC.jpeg
    277.9 KB · Views: 61
  • FB711979-51FD-4070-9015-8061C3C9AEAC.jpeg
    FB711979-51FD-4070-9015-8061C3C9AEAC.jpeg
    283.1 KB · Views: 63
It almost looks as if another nerite has laid eggs on this one. That's happened to mine before. I also had a nerite which grew algae on top of its shell :unsure:

Nerites do deposit eggs looking like sesame seeds. Everywhere. But they don't hatch, they just stay there. It is possible to scrape the eggs of hard surfaces like rock or the tank walls, but with soft decor like plants or wood it's almost impossible without taking the surface off as well.

The back wall of my tank, where I can't reach to scrape them off, is covered with nerite eggs.

It almost looks as if another nerite has laid eggs on this one. That's happened to mine before. I also had a nerite which grew algae on top of its shell :unsure:
Is it possible to get more nerite snails from these eggs? I have another tank I can add salt to if that would help them survive??

To raise nerite larvae, the salinity needs to be at a specific level - and you have to feed the larvae on microscopic algae. Many people have tried to breed them and failed.

@JennySolano I've just bought 2 more and they came with acclimatisation instructions too. I just let the bag float to equalise the temperature, then emptied the water and snails into a small tub floating on the surface and let them climb out. I must confess to being surprised they were in a bag of water, when I've bought nerites in the past they came wrapped in damp filter floss inside a small pot.

To raise nerite larvae, the salinity needs to be at a specific level - and you have to feed the larvae on microscopic algae. Many people have tried to breed them and failed.

@JennySolano I've just bought 2 more and they came with acclimatisation instructions too. I just let the bag float to equalise the temperature, then emptied the water and snails into a small tub floating on the surface and let them climb out. I must confess to being surprised they were in a bag of water, when I've bought nerites in the past they came wrapped in damp filter floss inside a small pot.
Thanks for the info. I guess I will just leave them on the shell

It might be possibly to scrape them off, but you'd need to be careful not to remove the shell surface as well. The eggs do stick very tight.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back