Nerite snail eggs in my tank. Will they hatch?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

FishionistaB

Reaction score
So we ended up getting nerite snails due to the fact that they will only reproduce in brackish water (we have freshwater tank). Long story short we ended up getting ich last week and have turned up the heat and added salt. I added 1 tbsp aquarium salt per 5 gallons. I know relatively nothing about keeping brackish tanks. I noticed recently little, white things that look like sesame seeds. After doing a little digging I found they are probably nerite eggs. Would that be enough salt to make the water brackish enough for these snails to hatch? I’m worried we will develop a snail problem, please help

Aquarium salt and marine salt are different. Also, I don't think that's enough salt to really be called brackish (it's not marine salt so it's definitely not brackish). I would be surprised if the eggs hatched.

Even if they did hatch, you wouldn't have a snail problem. The salt you're adding is only temporary, and any corresponding snail problem would also be temporary. Once you end the ich treatment, the snails will stop reproducing and the problem will go away. Real snail problems only develop in tanks where the snails can continuously reproduce at a high rate thus overtaking the rate at which snails can be removed.

I wouldn't worry about it. The eggs probably won't hatch, and even if they do you'll easily be able to remove them and stop them from reproducing by removing the salt.

So we ended up getting nerite snails due to the fact that they will only reproduce in brackish water (we have freshwater tank). Long story short we ended up getting ich last week and have turned up the heat and added salt. I added 1 tbsp aquarium salt per 5 gallons. I know relatively nothing about keeping brackish tanks. I noticed recently little, white things that look like sesame seeds. After doing a little digging I found they are probably nerite eggs. Would that be enough salt to make the water brackish enough for these snails to hatch? I’m worried we will develop a snail problem, please help
Short answer, no, they will not hatch

They need brackish water to hatch, which is a mixture of saltwater and freshwater. The salinity level is very hard to pin down.

I think you are misinformed on snails... having a multitude of snails is not a “problem”, in most cases. Actually, snails are quite good for your tank.

Nerite eggs hatch to a planktonic larval stage which need microscopic algae in the water (green water) to feed on. So even if by some chance they did hatch, the larvae would not survive long.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back