Nerite snail advice

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

CazRJ

Reaction score
Hi I have 1 nerite snail happily living in my community tank. Iv had him about a year now and he has always had a bit of a damaged shell at the tip of his curl. It's never stopped him or bothered him it seems.

I went to my local fish shop and they had some that where massive compared to mine. So I was just wondering if anyone feeds their snails anything special? as mine just feeds on what is in the tank. And is there anything I could give him to finally help his she'll? And finally how can I do the previous 2 without encouraging a Ramshorn or pond snail outbreak?

Thanks 🐌

I have never specifically fed my nerites. They probably eat algae and perhaps bits of fish food. I have a couple of elderly nerites - the orange with black spots (common names red onion nerite, tiger nerite) which I bought in 2011 and a small black and yellow striped one bought in 2013 from Pets at Home! I also have a couple of recently purchased nerites.

If they can live that long without specific feeding, yours should be OK without.

What type is your nerite?

It's a Zebra nerite I believe. He's the only snail in the tank so there is plenty of food for him to get at.

I bought a zebra nerite at the same time as the orange & black one, it died 14 months ago so still a good age (I'd had it 9 years). In my tank, the zebra grew slightly bigger than the other species but it never grew bigger than 2 maybe 2.5 cm (1 inch)

My nerites never took any notice of courgette. Mind you, there was no room for a snail with all the shrimps standing on it.

As far as I know there's probably not much to be done about the shell. It's usually caused by too low a pH I think. But chances are if your pH is acidic is likely just right for the other livestock.

I have never specifically fed my nerites. They probably eat algae and perhaps bits of fish food. I have a couple of elderly nerites - the orange with black spots (common names red onion nerite, tiger nerite) which I bought in 2011 and a small black and yellow striped one bought in 2013 from Pets at Home! I also have a couple of recently purchased nerites.

If they can live that long without specific feeding, yours should be OK without.

What type is your nerite?
Incredible! I read most live for only 2 years at most

As far as I know there's probably not much to be done about the shell. It's usually caused by too low a pH I think. But chances are if your pH is acidic is likely just right for the other livestock.
PH hovers at 6.5 - 7

At that pH you may find the shell erodes. As long as it doesn't disintegrate completely the snail should be OK.

At that pH you may find the shell erodes. As long as it doesn't disintegrate completely the snail should be OK.
Thanks, it hasn't gotten any worse it came into my tank with a little knick

A calcium supplement may be helpful for your Nerite's shell repair and development. I use a piece of unflavored cuttlebone (sold for birds) for my snails. It's basically a chunk of calcium carbonate. I break off a piece about the size of two thumbnails and wedge it partially under something until it becomes waterlogged enough to stay sunk at the bottom of the tank. Nerite snails will rasp at the cuttlebone as needed for their calcium intake.

Low pH and hardness levels can also cause issues with a Nerite's shell. If the water is too acidic a snail's shell can erode. What are your pH and hardness levels?

I do feed my Nerite snails. Nerite snails are so efficient at cleaning algae that they rarely have enough to subsist off of long term. Like other cleaners, Nerites can starve to death if their food is not supplemented. Mine get sinking algae wafers every other day. They get blanched veggies like Zucchini or Collard Greens as treats, too.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back