Nerite and rabbit snail

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Michaelsf90

Reaction score
In my 125L tank I have 12 danios, 4 peppered Cory's, 2 zebra nerite snails and now 1 rabbit snail. The temperature of the tank is 74 Fahrenheit. I've been told the rabbit snail will be ok at this temp but may not breed

My question is no one has ever told me about ph or calcium with snails. The rabbit snail is beautiful. My zebra nerites both have a white dot at the end of their shell

The ph is 7.3 in my tank and its soft water. I've just found out snails need calcium and hard water. Do I need to worry about the calcium or ph?

If you need to add calcium you can add some shells to the tank. They do need it to keep their shells hard.

How soft is your water? (Need a number and unit - soft means different things to different people).
These should not be in water that is too soft or acidic, but if you have had the nerites for some time its probably ok. My nerite is just fine in water that is 6dGH and pH of 7.

The ph is 7.2 or 7.3 and general hardness is 6°d
This might sound like a silly question but what kind of shells?

The ph is 7.2 or 7.3 and general hardness is 6°d
This might sound like a silly question but what kind of shells?
That's fine for your snails. Its also perfect for your fish. No need to add anything. Well ok - I would add a few more peppered corys as they do better in larger groups.

I'm currently having issues. One thing annoying me is fish shops severe lack of understanding and mis-selling. I've just realised I have 4 pearl danios which I thought were glowlights. Today I bought 2 glowlights

So now I have 3 zebras, 3 leopard, which I know are the same species and happy with six. I have 4 pearls so need to get 2 more. Now I have 2 glowlight so I need to get 4 more

The snails and 4 peppered Cory's. So how many more peppered corys bearing in mind il have 18 danios eventually. It's a 125L

My kids also wanted white cloud mountain minnows but I think the tank will be at its max after adding more danios and coreys

I'm currently having issues. One thing annoying me is fish shops severe lack of understanding and mis-selling. I've just realised I have 4 pearl danios which I thought were glowlights. Today I bought 2 glowlights

So now I have 3 zebras, 3 leopard, which I know are the same species and happy with six. I have 4 pearls so need to get 2 more. Now I have 2 glowlight so I need to get 4 more

The snails and 4 peppered Cory's. So how many more peppered corys bearing in mind il have 18 danios eventually. It's a 125L
As @Byron suggests in your other thread the pearl as well as the zebra / leopard danios are active and need a 90cm tank. The glowlights will not appreciate being in the same tank with active fish and will likely be out-competed for food. The glowlights are tiny so the 20 I suggested in the other thread is no problem and I would probably go for a total of 8-10 corys. (I have 30 CPD, which are the same size as the glowlights in a 54l tank).

But I do suggest you keep the glowlights OR the larger danios, but not both

One of the glowlights is quite large. As large as the zebras and leopard. 30 in a 54Litre or 54 gallon? I wouldn't say we have any large danio. They're all the same size. One pearl seems adult size. The other 3 are still growing.

It looks as tho one of the glowlights, the smaller one is swimming fine with my existing danios but the other larger one is rather skittish and getting chased a bit. Do you think its more urgent to get say 4 more glowlights tomorrow than it is to get more coreys?

How about returning the two glowlights to the store? If you bought the pearls there, labelled as glowlights then they were mis-sold and you should get a full refund.

The Pearl's I bought from another shop. The shop i got the Pearl's from called them blue fin and said they would school with zebras and leopards and having ten of the different varieties in total was enough. But I've noticed even tho they all happily stick together the 4 which I now know are pearls tend to stick together more

So today I got the glowlights thinking the 4 I had were glowlights because of the orange stripe at the back. I like the glowlights so il just get more.

But now it's more a stocking issue. With having 4 different varieties of fish and having large enough schools isseeming a problem. Are you any good with stocking?

I understand. No, I ask on here too, there are many factors to consider and no simple rules about numbers unfortunately.

According to seriously fish
  • the pearl danios will grow to be 50-55 mm
  • Zebra / leapard danios are 45-50mm
  • Glowlight danios 25-30mm
125 litre aquaria are typically 80cm long. Now I am not going to say you cant keep the larger danios for the sake of 10cm - but the adult glowlights are much smaller than the other two species will be.

I'm going to start a new thread on stocking. Thank you all for the advice and help as always!

Most reactions

trending

Back