Neraite snail with 6.5 ph

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

CxN

Reaction score
I have a tiny (hitchhiker) Ramshorn snail who hops around my plant gorging on algae, but he is unable to handle the workload - i wipe the tank glass and siphon gravel but i don't want to disturb the plants - there are often some algae on them. (I do run my lights 12h and fert a bit generouslyfor now until my plants settle and shoot some runners).
Today I noticed brown algae on the glass.:no: I can certainly wipe it off the glass but gravel isn't easy until I move things around. I have a steady 6.4 - 6.5 ph (RO water, soft water) and bare min GH and KH. Do you think a nerait snail can do well in these conditions? I do not want to consider BN Pleco, though I love them - due to the bio explosion they may cause given the headcount we have now in my 20 gallon.

(in Hank Worden's manner) Thank you kindly!

I keep snails in my RO water and I bring the GH up to around 6-7 DGH. PH isn't that big a deal GH which is a measurement of calcium and magnesium the water. If your GH is below snails may suffer shell rot due to lack of calcium.
I raise my GH with calcium carbonate and magnesium sulfate( epsom salts) or one can buy flourish equalibrium which is basically the same with added potassium formulated to bring RO water to 6 GH for optimal plant growth.
Other than that I'd suggest desceeasing light to 8 hours or less. Plants don't need 8 hours of straight light to grow where as algae needs continuous light to grow, keeping the lights on for 12 hours is encouraging algae. Also keep up on frequent water changes to decrease nitrates that encourage algae as well. Good luck!

Reactions: CxN
Thanks a lot, Utashfish. Sorry for the delay in responding. Somehow didn't get any notif.

Good point on the lighting. I've now reduced light to 10 hours with a target to 8h later. Just want to watch out if the plants take it positively.

I was kind of avoiding adding any more chemicals into the tank! :) but your post definitely make me conscious how I shouldn't add neraits unless the GH is good. My GH is bare min 3-5. Considering Amno shrimps instead - love those guys too. Thanks again!

Most reactions

Back