Neon's Are Dead!

JakeKPO

Reaction score
Hello All! i have come to this community for some help. So i recently purchased 6 Neon tetras And they all died within 12 hours. So i went and got my water tested and to get my money back and the lady said that my pH Was high and was to acidic so i said okay ill get some more and lower my pH well i get home test my water and come to find out my pH is Fine around 6.5-7 But i was noticing my tetras would come to the surface and look like they were gasping for air and then i woke up and the new ones were all dead. Some one please help (Side Note: I have a Betta in the tank that is not aggressive and got along fine with them)

Neons are not healthy these days. I bought all of mine from breederā€™s and private people this time because the last batch that I bought at LFS also all died within 24 hours. My tank was cycled but newly so because it was a QT that I seeded with used media and gravel too. The tetras were very small and I donā€™t think they could handle the stress although I acclimated them. I decided then that no more neons from lfs. I did get a case of ich from one group of tetras that Iā€™m now dealing with but have not lost any in my tank. I have about 40 right now...all bought online.

I also cut back on buying neon tetras, like @Deanasue said they have not been as healthy lately. Last week I bought 4 from the LFS, I picked the best looking ones and so far so good but I am keeping my neon shoal small. If I lose anymore I plan on not replacing them and going with cardinal tetras instead. I have had very good luck with my glow light tetra they seem much more healthy. I would recommend them as a replacement.

I also cut back on buying neon tetras, like @Deanasue said they have not been as healthy lately. Last week I bought 4 from the LFS, I picked the best looking ones and so far so good but I am keeping my neon shoal small. If I lose anymore I plan on not replacing them and going with cardinal tetras instead. I have had very good luck with my glow light tetra they seem much more healthy. I would recommend them as a replacement.
I agree with the glo light. I still have my original 6 from about a year ago. They just about take care of themselves and nice to look at!

If the fish are dying within 12 hours of being put in the tank, there is either something wrong with the tank, or there is a major difference in water chemistry (pH, GH & KH) between your tank and the shop tank.

You need to test your tank water for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH & GH. That will at least tell you if the water is safe for fish. Then find out what the GH and pH of the shop tank is.

Ask the shop when the fish came in and when they do water changes on the tanks. You want to avoid buying fish that have just come into the shop in the last week. And don't buy fish if they have just had a water change.
Basically if the fish have only been in the shop tanks for a few days, wait a week before getting them.
If the shop does water changes on Wednesday, buy the fish on Monday or Tuesday before the water change.

Is there a filter on the tank?
How long has the tank been set up for?
What is the temperature of the water?
How long are the new fish in the bag for?
How do you acclimatise/ add the fish to the tank?

Don't add any new fish until you find out what is going on.

So i went and got my water tested and to get my money back and the lady said that my pH Was high and was to acidic
I don't think you can trust any advice from that shop.
Low pH means acidic
High
pH means basic
It cannot possibly be high and too acidic.

She either didn't have a clue or just didn't want to give your money back.

All good advice above.

Just to add, do not add chemicals to lower your ph. These chemicals create swings and will hurt your fish.

Just about any pH is good. You just have to stock accordingly. Find out your GH though as that number is more important than pH

I agree with the above.

Sadly we can almost never believe what a fish store person says, a lot of us have learned that the hard way

I agree with what everyone has said thus far, but I believe it is Colin that is getting to the heart of the matter. I agree that Neons may not be as hardy a fish as they once were, but if ALL of the fish are dying within 12 hours of being placed into the tank, then something is not right with the conditions in the tank compared to the conditions the fish are coming from. Even less hardier fish can often survive longer than 12 hours. It sounds like they are being shocked by changes in water parameters from the store to the tank, or by water conditions that may be less than ideal in the tank. I think testing all of the water parameters Colin has listed would be the best first step in determining what might be going on.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back