Neon tetras and danios (GloFish)

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Anonymous Fox

Fish Addict
Reaction score
as a smaller child i loved going to the pet store and see the pets (i still do, but now i know about breeding mills and pet mills) my faviret were the fish. but there was one tank i loved the most... the GloFish tank. when ever i saw them i just though, wow, i want fish like that. so i am gonna get some. i can't get them right now, i need to buy my 20 gallon, set it up, cycle it, and do reaserch. but i know i need:

20 gallon tank (i will get two danios and two tetras)

supstrate

led light?

filter

heater

bubbler

food (what do you recommend?)

one quick question, do they need plants and hides?

The danios and tetras are social fish, they need to be kept in groups of 6 minimum, 8 better, 10 even better...the more room you have, the more you should keep

Are you getting a 20 long, or 20 tall?

Real plants are always beneficial in a tank

Last edited:
Hi! I think Glofish are wonderful! Many people don't care for them though. Tetras and Danios are schooling fish, so it would be better if you chose either tetras OR danios. Like Slaphppy7 said, a group of 6 or more is beneficial to their wellbeing and happiness. I would recommend getting a 20 long, which is 30 inches long, where as a tall is only 24 inches long. If you had a 20 long, you could easily have a school of 8 glofish. That would leave them plenty of room to school, plus you could have a school of cories to occupy the bottom of the tank too if you wanted! Just make sure you get a nice filter that could keep up. Live plants both look nice and have many benefits for your aquarium and fish. I highly recommend at least a few live plants. With Glofish, many people choose to get some fake Glo plants and decorations as well though, cause it looks cool to have glowing fish AND decor

The danios and tetras are social fish, they need to be kept in groups of 6 minimum, 8 better, 10 even better...the more room you have, the more you should keep

What kind of tetras are you considering?...are you getting a 20 long, or 20 tall?

Real plants are always beneficial in a tank
thanks for the info! i will probly get a 20 gallon breeder, they do have more space (i only know that because i have a hamster lol) after you said they need to be kept in groups of 6, (i want 8, but i was ordering online, shipping is like 30 US dollars, so much for getting fish online) i am gonna three danios, two short tail tetras, and two long tail tetras. my hamster, lightning (yep, i had a thunder, he died of a stroke) lives in a 40 gallon tall, like, tallllllll, and i will make a diy cage for her and all of my future hamsters and use that tank for fish in the future.

I have no clue what "long tail" and "short tail" tetras are....and I'm a characin fan, lol

Do you have a local fish store? I believe Petco and Petsmart sell Glofish. It really would be better if they had a larger group. These fish need others of their own kind, it is what makes them feel safe. They will be stressed, which will make them more likely to get sick, and they will be unhappy and you will feel bad
I have no clue what "long tail" and "short tail" tetras are....and I'm a characin fan, lol
Longfinned Glo tetras and normal Glo tetras

Do you have a local fish store? I believe Petco and Petsmart sell Glofish. It really would be better if they had a larger group. These fish need others of their own kind, it is what makes them feel safe. They will be stressed, which will make them more likely to get sick, and they will be unhappy and you will feel bad

Longfinned Glo tetras and normal Glo tetras
Still no clue

If they are indeed skirts, I'd avoid...they have a reputation for being nippy, if not kept in very large groups

Ah, a fellow Glofish lover! I have 3 tetras and 2 danios right now (had 5 tetras and 4 danios but had some deaths) in a 20g right now. They're about to move to my 35g long here soon, so I'm excited to bump their numbers up. I definitely love the colors!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back