Neon tetra with growth on mouth

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

Ashwp85

Reaction score
Hey guys,
My neon has a lump on its mouth. It doesn't look like cotton mouth. Its blue ish in colour and looks smooth. He's still chasing other fish and eating. I'm just worried it's going to get too big and cover his mouth or be something more sinister. Is it just a growth? And any advice for it?

Thanks

Attachments

• 20181001_110609.jpg
    20181001_110609.jpg
    399.9 KB · Views: 170
  • 20181001_110533.jpg
    20181001_110533.jpg
    288.5 KB · Views: 162
I have never seen this with Tetras.Personally, I would say just wait for further advancements before you take any action. Unless anyone has anything else to say.

How long have you had the fish for?
How long has it had the lump for?
Have you added anything to the tank in the last 2 weeks?

I've had the fish for 4 months. I noticed the lump a few days ago and though it was a snail at first. The little monkey wouldn't keep still for me to see. Nothing has been added to the tank for over a month. The only change is my mollie had babies

It's either bacterial or fungal. If you have a spare tank you could separate the fish and treat it with broad spectrum fish medication. Alternatively monitor the fish over the next few days, but if it gets bigger you will need to treat it then.

To work out the volume of water in the tank:
measure length x width x height in cm.
divide by 1000.
= volume in litres.

When you measure the height, measure from the top of the substrate to the top of the water level.

There is a calculator/ converter in the "How To Tips" at the top of this page that will let you convert litres to gallons if you need it.

Remove carbon from the filter before treating or it will absorb the medication and stop it working.

Wipe the inside of the glass down, do a 75% water change and complete gravel clean. And clean the filter before treating.

Increase surface turbulence/ aeration when using medications because they reduce the dissolved oxygen in the water.

Iā€™m afraid I tried everything in mine. Nothing worked. I read it is a virus in neonā€™s mostly and no one seems to have found a cure. A couple of mine have it and the rest donā€™t. I did have one fish that I had to cut it away in because he couldnā€™t eat. I wouldnā€™t recommend trying this though. Just let him be and he should be fine.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back