Neon Tetra Rough Looki Fins

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
I was gone most of the day yesterday and my fish were fine when I got back this morning from what I could tell. About half an hour ago I was watching them and one of them looks like it's fins are torn up and there is a silvery string hanging behind one of it's fins. All of it's fins seem to be torn, with it's tail fin being the worst, and there is another fish with torn fins as well but I'm pretty sure it is the one that got sucked into the filter a few days ago. I don't know what is wrong with them but I heard of fin rot the other day and I was afraid that might be what's wrong. I tried to get a picture but I can't seem to get a good one. Hopefully someone can give some idea of what's going on.

I almost forgot, it also didn't seem to be eating very well when I fed them. That's when I noticed the fins.

sounds like fin rot, also i'd look into purchasing a new filter head if yours is able to suck up your fish...

What do I need to do for fin rot?

Also, I hope I'm not showing my ignorance here, but what is a filter head?

Melafix for the fin rot :)

Filter head is (if you have a hang on back filter) the thing (or what I call it XD) at the bottom of your filter, where the water goes in

I thought that might be what it was but I didn't find anything when I looked it up. Where would I find a filter head?

It's a tetra whisper 3i. Came with the Glofish 1.5 gallon kit.

I recommend getting a Size U1 Fluval Underwater Filter, or something similar, although it is a 1.5G that may help. also I don't think (im sure you can somewhere lol) many large fish selling stores sell "Filter heads" but if you go to like craigslist (I haven't tried so its not 100%) they may have a smaller filter head

Is that filter not kinda strong for my tank? I saw that it's adjustable so it might be fine.

How fast does fin rot progress? Just wondering how quickly I need to get medicine.

1.5 gallons is not suitable for fish, sorry to say. They could be getting fin rot for a number of reasons. Do you know that ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate of your tank? This tank with more than one tetra is overstocked. Neons need a group of 6 or more, the more the better. They will be less stressed. Neons also need space to swim around as they get scared easy and can bang into stuff. How often and how much do you do water changes? (Also, a simple sponge filter can work fine for a small tank. They are inexpensive and use an air pump.). Most times just plain clean water will help without any medications. But you have to get the stress levels down otherwise it won't do any good. But this small of a tank, sorry to say...won't help you with that at all. I would say 15 to 20 gallon minimum for this fish. (I'm going to be putting 15 of these in a 20 gallon myself eventually and that's it, if that says anything.)

I'm aware that they need more room, however I can't afford it at the moment and I don't have a suitable place for them. I don't have a test kit yet either. I change a cup full of water once a week and their water is clean.

In emergencies, you can use a plastic tub/storage box for fish; much cheaper than a tank. In a small volume of water, toxins from the fish's wastes can build up very quickly. 1.5 gallons is, I'm afraid to say, not suitable for keeping fish; it's just too small.

You can't tell by looking, or smelling, whether water is safe or not. You cannot see or smell ammonia or nitrite at the concentrations that can kill or damage fish. As you don't have test kits, you will need to change at least half the water, every day; whether they're in this tank or storage box.

As to filters... it is virtually unknown for healthy fish to get sucked into filters, if it's appropriately sized for the tank. What usually happens is that the fish is sick or dying and can't swim properly; then the filter does it's job and sucks the fish in.

From what I could tell the fish looked completely healthy after I got it out of the filter, except for a little damage to the fins but I assumed that was due to being sucked up the filter. I dont know, but I guess it's possible that it could've been sick and has now infected the other fish. I know I can't tell if their water is safe by looking. I was just saying that it looks clean.

I had a fish that just disappeared on me a week ago today. I didn't think of it until a few minutes ago but it may be the cause of this.

Just one cup of water won't really help. I would advise what fluttermouth said. At least 50% daily. I have a clear plastic tote from Walmart that is around 80 liters. This cost under $10. It will hold 10 gallons very well-this would suffice temporarily with the neons until you could get a bigger tank. With totes you have to get them at least twice as big(for the most part) than the amount of water you want in them. Otherwise they could bow out and crack. Walmart also has inexpensive air pumps and airline tubing. They don't have the sponge filters and I'm not sure what stores around you might. If none do they are easy to get online. (10 gallon tanks are only just over $13 at Walmart too. You could also look around in Craigslist and such for used as well.) I believe the sponge filter I got from online was under $10 as well. So it's not too much really if you think about it. Even if you can only get one thing at a time.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back