Neon Tetra large

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

PygmyMitch

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi all, so one of my neon tetras is rather large and has been large for a long time now. I read online that it is carrying eggs and the male neons need to chase the female in order for her to release the eggs. However this has not happened and I have just noticed that it was sort of floating near the top which it has never done before.

Is she carrying eggs or is there something wrong ?

Attachments

• F344B06C-D1B2-4339-8BF8-903318DD5412.jpeg
    F344B06C-D1B2-4339-8BF8-903318DD5412.jpeg
    169.4 KB · Views: 43
  • 317C19B0-B700-43E0-B0E1-8C102F03FFA7.jpeg
    317C19B0-B700-43E0-B0E1-8C102F03FFA7.jpeg
    273 KB · Views: 41
I think it is eggbound. There is something wrong and more seen in neons.

How long are neons normally eggbound for ? and do you have any idea what could be wrong ? I have 8 other neons and they are all fine.

How long are neons normally eggbound for ? and do you have any idea what could be wrong ? I have 8 other neons and they are all fine.
Neons have eggs for 2 weeks. You will want to set up a new tank if you want the eggs to hatch. If not other neons will just eat them.

Once you have determined which fish are females, you can observe their bellies to determine whether or not they are ready to lay eggs. If the female neon tetra is ready to lay eggs, her belly will appear swollen. It will look more enlarged than normal. This is the biggest clue that she is ready to lay eggs.

As soon as you see the eggs, remove the adult neon tetras from the tank immediately. These fish tend to eat their own eggs and even their young ones. Shift them back to their previous tank to protect the eggs. This is another reason why it is recommended to only breed one pair at a time in a separate tank.

As soon as you see the eggs, remove the adult neon tetras from the tank immediately. These fish tend to eat their own eggs and even their young ones. Shift them back to their previous tank to protect the eggs. This is another reason why it is recommended to only breed one pair at a time in a separate tank.
Have you bred Neons. I'm interested in knowing how you managed to get the fry through their first two weeks, as I have never been able to do this.

Have you bred Neons. I'm interested in knowing how you managed to get the fry through their first two weeks, as I have never been able to do this.
No I haven't bred them before but I once believed one of my neons was pregnant so I spent hours searching on how to look after their fry. Then a few weeks later I realised it was a male who at all the food. At least I'm ready should it happen

No I haven't bred them before but I once believed one of my neons was pregnant so I spent hours searching on how to look after their fry. Then a few weeks later I realised it was a male who at all the food. At least I'm ready should it happen
Let us know when they breed and you have raised some fry. I will be interested in knowing how you do it.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back